Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apparent fallacy in linear operator theory

1. Jan 8, 2009 #1
    Butkov's book present the theory of linear operators this way:

Suppose a linear operator [tex]\alpha[/tex] transforms a basis vector
    [tex]\hat{\ e_i}[/tex] into some vector [tex]\hat{\ a_i}[/tex].That is we have

[tex]\alpha\hat{\ e_i}=\hat{\ a_i}[/tex]....................(A)

Now the vectors [tex]\hat{\ a_i}[/tex] can be represented by its co-ordinates w.r.t. basis [tex]\{\hat{\ e_1},\hat{\ e_2}, ...,\hat{\ e_N}}[/tex].

[tex]\hat{\ a_i} = \sum\ a_j_i\hat{\ e_j}[/tex] where i,j=1,2,3...N and summation over j is implied.................(B)

Notice that the in last equation,we have put a row vector(a)=a row vector (e) times a matrix A

Now with the help of the transforming matrix [tex]\ a_j_i[/tex],we can find the co-ordiantes of [tex]\ y=\alpha\ x[/tex] from the co-ordiantes of [tex]\ x[/tex]

[tex]\ y=\alpha\ x=\alpha\sum [\ x_i\hat{ e_i}]=\sum [\ x_i\hat{ a_i}][/tex]................(C)

Employing the definition of [tex]\ a_i[/tex] as in (B), we obtain

[tex]\ y= \sum\ x_i\sum\ a_j_i\hat{\ e_j} = \sum[\sum\ a_j_i\ x_i]\hat{\ e_j}[/tex] in the last term the outer summation is on j.....................(D)

From this we could identify that [tex]\ y=\sum\ y_j\hat{\ e_j}[/tex]....(E)

where [tex]\ y_j=\sum[\ a_j_i\ x_i}[/tex]...............(F)

Last equation shows y and x are column vectors.If they were row vectors, the indices of [tex]\ a[/tex] would have interchanged among themselves.

But our very first assumption was [tex]\hat{ a_i}[/tex] is a row vector.And y is a linear combination of [tex]\hat{ a_i}[/tex].Thus, y should be a row vector!!!

Can anyone please help me to see where is the fallacy?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2
    there is a subtle, but important difference between a vector and the matrix of components that represent the vector. Incidentally, the same thing can be said about a linear operator and the matrix of components representing the operator. The vector you express in (B) is a linear combination of the basis vectors you list in the line above (B). The matrix representing this vector is usually written as a Nx1 array, or column vector. Does this help at all?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?