Apparent magnitude of a binary star system

In summary, the problem involves calculating the apparent magnitude of a binary star system with a hot main sequence star and a red giant, given the parallax of the system. To solve this, you must first convert magnitudes into intensities and then add the intensities. The distance from the system to Earth has already been calculated and cannot simply be added to the apparent magnitudes.
~ZeroPoint~

Homework Statement

A binary star system consists of a hot main sequence star (m=0.5m) and a red giant (m=1.2m), the parallax of the system is p=0.0012". Calculate the apparent magnitude of the system.

Homework Equations

I have b1/b2 = 2.512^(m2-m1) and p=1/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already calculated the distance from the system to the Earth (~833.65pc) and I know that I can't simply add the apparent magnitudes.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the apparent magnitude of a binary star system?

The apparent magnitude of a binary star system is a measure of the combined brightness of both stars as seen from Earth. It takes into account the individual magnitudes of each star as well as their separation and relative positions.

2. How is the apparent magnitude of a binary star system calculated?

The apparent magnitude of a binary star system is calculated by adding the magnitudes of the two stars together and taking into account their separation. This value is then converted into a logarithmic scale, where higher numbers represent dimmer objects.

3. Can the apparent magnitude of a binary star system change over time?

Yes, the apparent magnitude of a binary star system can change over time due to a variety of factors such as changes in the stars' brightness, their relative positions, and any intervening material that may affect the light reaching Earth.

4. How does the apparent magnitude of a binary star system differ from its absolute magnitude?

The apparent magnitude of a binary star system is a measure of its brightness as seen from Earth, while its absolute magnitude is a measure of its intrinsic brightness. The absolute magnitude takes into account the distance of the stars from Earth, while the apparent magnitude does not.

5. Why is the apparent magnitude of a binary star system important in astronomy?

The apparent magnitude of a binary star system is important in astronomy because it allows us to compare the brightness of different objects in the sky. It is also used to classify stars and determine their properties, such as their distance and luminosity.