1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apparent weight loss 2nd Newtons Law elevator problem

1. Mar 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 65-kg woman descends in an elevator that briefly acclerates at 0.20g downward when leaving a floor. She stands on a scale that reads in kg. (a) During this acceleration, what is her weight and what does the scale read?

2. Relevant equations
    ƩF = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that mg - Fn = m(0.20g) happens and then solving for Fn = 0.80mg.

I also understand that F'n is -0.80mg.

What I don't understand is why the "scale only needs to exert a force of only 0.80mg and that it will only give a reading of 0.80m"; why did the g get eliminated?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2016 #2
    Because you want the net force to be downward so it can actually accelerate downward and n is just the force that the scale will push you up with. It also equal to the apparent weight because the springs in the scale gets compressed for example. Draw a FBD and try to figure what I am saying

4. Mar 4, 2016 #3
    I still don't understand. My book says the F'n=0.80mg downward. Her weight is still mg=(65kg)(9.8m/s^2)=640N. But the scale, needing to exert a force of only 0.80mg and that it will only give a reading of 0.80m=52kg". I don't understand why it's only giving a reading of 0.80m, instead of 0.80mg. WHy was g dropped?

5. Mar 4, 2016 #4
    I still don't understand. My book says the F'n=0.80mg downward. Her weight is still mg=(65kg)(9.8m/s^2)=640N. But the scale, needing to exert a force of only 0.80mg and that it will only give a reading of 0.80m=52kg". I don't understand why it's only giving a reading of 0.80m, instead of 0.80mg. WHy was g dropped?

6. Mar 4, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The scale reads in kg, not Newtons. But the spring inside it is sensitive to force, not mass. So the scale interprets a force of mg as a mass m, and displays it as such.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted