Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apple Swift programming language

1. Jun 3, 2014 #1
    I used to program in Microsoft Quickbasic before MS abandoned it. I wasn't too advanced - my best program was a variant on Minesweeper. That was ages ago, but I'd like to get back into programing.

Now Apple has this Swift programing language. Is swift a good choice for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Way to fresh if you ask me. Keep to something well established - Java or Python.

4. Jun 3, 2014 #3

DavidSnider

Gold Member

It may be fresh, but I think you'll have a lot more fun with it than Java or Python. I've been reading the docs on it recently and it looks pretty good to me.

5. Jun 3, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Before you spend much time on Swift, ask yourself two questions:

1. Is it proprietary to Apple?
    2. Will it work on non-Apple hardware?

Then estimate its lifespan before Apple stops supporting it, or changes it to something incompatible. (I would bet on somewhere between 6 months and 3 years maximum, given their track record.)

6. Jun 3, 2014 #5
    I also tried programing in Flash, but couldn't get anywhere with it. It was really opaque and I couldn't figure out why the program wouldn't do anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook