Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Applicant for Physics PhD Programs

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    Hi there. I have a friend who's currently in Caltech and is applying to various graduate schools to pursue a Physics PhD. I'm practically in the same path as he is, but I'm a senior applying to undergraduate schools as a Physics major (although I might go for a Math PhD instead). He gave me a link that was basically a resume and it looked absolutely astounding. However, I have no idea how to compare it to other graduate applicants.
    Here's the link: (removed)

As a high school senior, he got accepted into Harvard and Caltech, but he opted for Caltech (which is a very uncommon thing to do) because of the scientist-esque approach that Caltech has on its courses and etc. Based purely on this and not on any scores, how strong does he look as a graduate applicant? He applied to a lot of the top schools and a few safeties.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

I don't think posting someone else's CV for critique is appropriate. There are certainly privacy issues.

One thing that did occur to me in reading it - in business, it may be acceptable to "pad" your resume. In science, one should never do this, particularly if it is easily checked.

4. Mar 16, 2010 #3
    Sorry if posting his resume isn't allowed on these forums. He let me do it though so I don't think I breached any privacy rights in that regard. Everything he put was truthful (that's what he told me anyways); I thought his GPA in Caltech and his research were pretty good anyways. I was just wondering how it would look in critique of actual Physics/Math PhDs who already know how the system works basically.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook