1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application in permutations group

1. Nov 3, 2015 #1
    Hello
    I am studying for my exam and there's a question that i don't know how to solve, I have some difficulties with symmetric/permutations groups

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a finite group of order > 2.
    We write Aut(G) for the group of automorphisms of G and Sg for the permutations group of the set G.
    Consider a1 and a2 ∈ Aut(G) two automorphisms.
    We suppose that the g=1 is the only element g ∈ G such as ∀ x ∈ G we have a1(g)*x=x*a2(g)
    For g,x ∈ G we have
    fg(x):=a1(g)*x*a2(g-1)
    Show that for each g ∈ G the application fg: G→G is in Sg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really dont know how to do that..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2015 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I don't get the problem here. Since all f_g are well-defined functions on the finite set G with an obvious inverse
    h_g (x) := a1(g^-1)*x*a2(g) = f_g^-1 (x), i.e. a bijection, they have to be in Sg, if Sg is Sym(G) the set of all bijections on G.

The additional condition says that f_g = id(G) implies g = e. It is also true that f_g * f_h = f_ (g*h).
    Therefore you have a group monomorphism f: G → Sym(G) with f(g) := f_g, i.e. an embedding of G into Sym(G) that respects the group operation.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted