Conjugation as an Automorphism: Proof and Applications

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
Only if ##A=G## we have that injectivity implies surjectivity.I will write:... and we can say that ##|A| = |gAg^{-1}|## because ##\sigma_g## is bijective and thus ##gAg^{-1}## contains as many elements as ##A##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##G## be a group and let ##G## act on itself by left conjugation, so each ##g \in G## maps ##G## to ##G## by ##x \mapsto gxg^{-1}##. For fixed ##g \in G##, prove that conjunction by ##G## is an automomorphism of G. Deduce that ##x## and ##gxg^{-1}## have the same order for all ##x## in ##G## and that for any subset ##A## of ##G##, ##|A| = |gAg^{-1}|##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is how I approached the problem. Let ##\sigma_g = gxg^{-1}##. I will take it as given that ##\sigma_g## is a bijection from ##G## to ##G##, as I have already proved this in the general case before and don't feel like doing it again. Thus, we must only show that ##\sigma_g## is a homomorphism. Let ##x_1, x_2 \in G##. Then ##\sigma_g (x_1x_2) = g x_1 x_2 g^{-1} = g x_1 g^{-1} g x_2 g^{-1} = \sigma_g (x_1) \sigma_g(x_2)##. So ##\sigma_g## is an automorphism.

We can say that ##|x| = |gxg^{-1}|## because isomorphisms preserve order and we can say that ##|A| = |gAg^{-1}|## because ##\sigma_g## is injective and so the elements in ##A## will be mapped to distinct elements.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##G## be a group and let ##G## act on itself by left conjugation, so each ##g \in G## maps ##G## to ##G## by ##x \mapsto gxg^{-1}##. For fixed ##g \in G##, prove that conjunction by ##G## is an automomorphism of G. Deduce that ##x## and ##gxg^{-1}## have the same order for all ##x## in ##G## and that for any subset ##A## of ##G##, ##|A| = |gAg^{-1}|##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is how I approached the problem. Let ##\sigma_g = gxg^{-1}##.
##\sigma_g(x) = gxg^{-1}##
I will take it as given that ##\sigma_g## is a bijection from ##G## to ##G##, as I have already proved this in the general case before and don't feel like doing it again. Thus, we must only show that ##\sigma_g## is a homomorphism. Let ##x_1, x_2 \in G##. Then ##\sigma_g (x_1x_2) = g x_1 x_2 g^{-1} = g x_1 g^{-1} g x_2 g^{-1} = \sigma_g (x_1) \sigma_g(x_2)##. So ##\sigma_g## is an automorphism.

We can say that ##|x| = |gxg^{-1}|## because isomorphisms preserve order ...
You can also just write the same line as before again: ##(gxg^{-1})^n=gx^ng^{-1}## and one equals ##e=1## if and only if the other does, too.
... and we can say that ##|A| = |gAg^{-1}|## because ##\sigma_g## is injective and so the elements in ##A## will be mapped to distinct elements.
You also need surjectivity as ##G## might not be finite, in which case (finite case) injectivity implies surjectivity and vice versa. Otherwise ##A## could be larger.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Correction:
fresh_42 said:
in which case (finite case) injectivity implies surjectivity
is wrong. I confused this with vector spaces and dimensions. If we know nothing but that ##A## is a set, then even in a finite case, a proper subset is an injective embedding which is not surjective.

Likes nuuskur

What is conjugation?

Conjugation is a mathematical operation that involves transforming an element in a group by multiplying it with another element in the group. It is often used in abstract algebra to study the properties of groups.

What is an automorphism?

An automorphism is a type of conjugation that maps a group onto itself, preserving the structure and operation of the group. In other words, an automorphism is a special type of symmetry within a group.

What does it mean for conjugation to be an automorphism?

If conjugation is an automorphism, it means that every element in the group can be mapped onto itself by a specific conjugation operation. This implies that the group is symmetric and has certain properties that are preserved under conjugation.

What are some applications of conjugation as an automorphism?

Conjugation as an automorphism has various applications in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. For example, it is used in the study of symmetry groups in crystallography and in the classification of algebraic structures in abstract algebra.

Is conjugation as an automorphism reversible?

No, conjugation as an automorphism is not necessarily reversible. While every element in the group can be mapped onto itself through conjugation, the reverse operation may not hold true. This depends on the specific group and its properties.