Application of Aristotle with free fall

In summary, Aristotle believed that the time it takes for an object to fall a given distance is inversely proportional to its weight. When given objects A (10g) and B (40g) with weights of 10,40,20 and 30 grams and dropped from the same height, object B would have the highest terminal velocity. Terminal velocity is referred to when mg = Fdrag, but this information is not necessary for this problem. Using the basic kinematic equation for constant speed, you can arrive at the Aristotelian answer.
Gear2d

Homework Statement

Aristotle believed that the time it takes for an object to fall a given distance is inversely proportional to its weight. Given objects A,B,C and D with weights of 10,40,20 and 30 grams, which one would have the heights terminal velocity if dropped from the same height?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was done to object A (10g) and B (40g). The answer was object B.

My question is:

1)Terminal velocity is referred to when mg = Fdrag?

2) I see that time takes longer for object A than B, so how can I equate this to terminal velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gear2d said:

Homework Statement

Aristotle believed that the time it takes for an object to fall a given distance is inversely proportional to its weight. Given objects A,B,C and D with weights of 10,40,20 and 30 grams, which one would have the heights terminal velocity if dropped from the same height?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was done to object A (10g) and B (40g). The answer was object B.

My question is:

1)Terminal velocity is referred to when mg = Fdrag?
yes, but you don't really need this info in this problem.
2) I see that time takes longer for object A than B, so how can I equate this to terminal velocity?
Aristotle apparently presumed that the objects fall at some constant (uniform) speed, which the problem is referring to as 'terminal velocity'. You can use the basic kinematic equation that relates constant speed to distance and time to arrive at the 'Aristotlian' answer.

I would like to point out that Aristotle's theory on free fall has been disproven by modern physics. In reality, the time it takes for an object to fall a given distance depends on several factors, including air resistance, gravitational acceleration, and the shape and size of the object. Terminal velocity, which is the maximum speed an object can reach while falling, is also influenced by these factors and is not solely determined by the weight of the object.

To answer your first question, terminal velocity is indeed reached when the force of gravity (mg) is equal to the force of air resistance (Fdrag). This is because at this point, the net force on the object is zero and it can no longer accelerate.

To address your second question, the time it takes for an object to fall does not necessarily equate to its terminal velocity. While it is true that a heavier object will reach a higher terminal velocity than a lighter object due to the force of gravity being greater, the shape and size of the object also play a significant role. For example, a parachute will reach a lower terminal velocity than a small rock with the same weight, due to the larger surface area and increased air resistance of the parachute.

In summary, while Aristotle's theory may have seemed logical at the time, it has been disproven by modern physics. When considering free fall and terminal velocity, it is important to take into account all factors that influence these phenomena, rather than just the weight of the objects involved.

1. What is the concept of free fall according to Aristotle?

According to Aristotle, free fall is the natural motion of objects falling towards the center of the Earth. He believed that objects fall at a constant speed until they reach their natural place in the Earth's center.

2. How does Aristotle's theory of free fall differ from modern physics?

Aristotle's theory of free fall differs from modern physics in that he believed that heavier objects fall faster than lighter objects. However, modern physics states that all objects fall at the same rate due to the force of gravity.

3. What are the implications of Aristotle's theory of free fall in modern science?

Aristotle's theory of free fall has been proven incorrect by modern science, but it still has historical significance in the development of physics. It also highlights the importance of experimentation and observation in scientific progress.

4. How did Aristotle's theory of free fall impact the study of motion?

Aristotle's theory of free fall was a major influence in the study of motion, as it was one of the first attempts to explain the natural world through observation and logic. However, it was later challenged and improved upon by other scientists, leading to a better understanding of motion and gravity.

5. Can Aristotle's theory of free fall be applied in modern experiments?

While Aristotle's theory of free fall has been disproven, some of its concepts can still be applied in modern experiments. For example, his emphasis on the importance of observation and logic can still be seen in the scientific method used today.