Application of Supremum Property .... Garling, Remarks on Theorem 3.1.1

In summary, Garling's book contains a proof of the Archimedian Property and interesting remarks after the proof.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
Concerns properties of the positive real numbers including an explicit procedure for determining a rational r with ##x \lt r \lt y## where ##x \gt 0## ...
I am reading D. J. H. Garling's book: "A Course in Mathematical Analysis: Volume I: Foundations and Elementary Real Analysis ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 3: Convergent Sequences

I need some help to fully understand some remarks by Garling made after the proof of Theorem 3.1.1 ...Garling's statement and proof of Theorem 3.1.1 (together with the interesting remarks) reads as follows:
Garling - 1 - Theorem 3.1.1 ...  ... PART 1 ... .png

Garling - 2 - Theorem 3.1.1 ...  ... PART 2 ... .png
My questions on the remarks after the proof are as follows:
Question 1

In the remarks after the proof of Theorem 3.1.1 we read the following:

" ... ... There exists a least positive integer, ##q_0##, say, such that ##1/q_0 \lt y - x## ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly (rigorously) why this is true ... ..

Question 2

" ... ... and there then exists a least integer,##p_0##, say, such that ##x \lt p_0 / q_0## ... ..."Can someone please explain exactly (rigorously) why this is true ... ..
Question 3

" ... ... Then ##x \lt p_0 / q_0 \lt y## and ##r_0 = p_o / q_0## is uniquely determined ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly (rigorously) why this is true ... ..Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you established the archimedian property at this point?

The Archimedian Property is proved as Part (ii) of the proof of Theorem 3.1.1 ... so I think that as far as the remarks after the theorem are concerned we can take the Archimedian Property as proved ... ...

Peter

Q1: We prove there is an positive integer ##n## such that ##1/n < y-x##. Suppose not, then for all positive integers we have ##1/n \geq y-x## and thus ##n \leq 1/(y-x)## for all positive integers ##n##, contradicting archimedian principle.

Now that we know that there is such an integer, we can take it minimal and we call it ##p_0.##

I guess the other questions are proven similarly. Let me know if this helps. I find these questions always difficult to answer because I use these properties all the times.

Likes Math Amateur
Math_QED said:
Q1: We prove there is an positive integer ##n## such that ##1/n < y-x##. Suppose not, then for all positive integers we have ##1/n \geq y-x## and thus ##n \leq 1/(y-x)## for all positive integers ##n##, contradicting archimedian principle.

Now that we know that there is such an integer, we can take it minimal and we call it ##p_0.##

I guess the other questions are proven similarly. Let me know if this helps. I find these questions always difficult to answer because I use these properties all the times.
Thanks Math_QED ...

Yes ... get the idea ...

Peter

1. What is the Supremum Property?

The Supremum Property is a fundamental concept in real analysis that states that every non-empty subset of real numbers that is bounded above must have a least upper bound, also known as the supremum. This property is often used to prove the existence of limits and to establish the completeness of the real numbers.

2. How is the Supremum Property applied in real analysis?

The Supremum Property is applied in real analysis to prove the existence of certain limits and to establish the completeness of the real numbers. It is also used in various proofs and theorems, such as the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem.

3. What is Theorem 3.1.1 in Garling's Remarks?

Theorem 3.1.1 in Garling's Remarks is a result that states that if a sequence of real numbers is bounded above, then its supremum is also a limit point of the sequence. This theorem is often used in the proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem.

4. How does Theorem 3.1.1 relate to the Supremum Property?

Theorem 3.1.1 is a direct consequence of the Supremum Property. It uses the fact that every bounded above sequence must have a least upper bound, and that this supremum must also be a limit point of the sequence. This theorem further illustrates the importance and usefulness of the Supremum Property in real analysis.

5. What are some other applications of the Supremum Property?

The Supremum Property has many applications in real analysis, including proving the existence of limits, establishing the completeness of the real numbers, and proving various theorems such as the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem. It is also used in optimization problems and in the definition of the Riemann integral.