Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applications of Calculus

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    Hello, I learned both calculus and integral calculus a little while ago and my classes did not contain a lot of applied calculus (almost no physics or finance). I was wondering if there is a good ressource about the the different applications of calculus (with the math if possible).

I am quite good at programming with Mathematica also (I'm a tech turned admin turned programmer) and would like to offer my help at creating cdf demos or doing problem resolution. If you need a hand with something, just let me know.

Thanks,

-Frank

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2
    Try Stewarts 7th Edition Textbook, he includes a variety of different applications of calculus concepts to problems of physics/biology/sociology/finance/economics

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In my opinion, Stewart is one of the worst math textbooks ever written. If you want to get your love of math totally decimated, then you should read the book.

To know about applications of calculus, I think you should look at actual physics or finance books and not at math books. There are many good physics books, for example Kleppner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook