What are the real-world applications of convection?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
LordWhiplash
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Where do we find the use of less conventional fluid convection currents in everyday life?
Hello guys, I'm a physics graduate student and recently I've questioned myself about convection when reading about heat transmission processes.

At least throughout my life, whenever I heard someone talk about convection, there were examples related to air and water convection currents, however, this effect is applicable to any fluid. So I would like to know in which interesting and important situations this phenomenon is present, either in industrial machines or in everyday life.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
LordWhiplash said:
Summary:: Where do we find the use of less conventional fluid convection currents in everyday life?

Hello guys, I'm a physics graduate student and recently I've questioned myself about convection when reading about heat transmission processes.

At least throughout my life, whenever I heard someone talk about convection, there were examples related to air and water convection currents, however, this effect is applicable to any fluid. So I would like to know in which interesting and important situations this phenomenon is present, either in industrial machines or in everyday life.
Are you talking about natural convection or forced convection?
 
There are too many situations to mention in which these are important. An important presence of natural convection is in atmospheric circulation. Convective heat transfer is present in all heat exchange equipment, such as in chemical plants and power generation plants. If you want to see more about this, see Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot and Heat Transmission by McAdams.