1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Applied Math or Physics graduate school?

1. Jan 12, 2017 #1
    Hi all,

So I am currently an undergrad student majoring in math and physics wanting to pursue a PhD in either applied math or physics. I definitely lean toward the theoretical side of physics and really enjoy mathematics (which has become somewhat of a hobby). My question is, what program of graduate study would best suite my needs? Applied math or physics? I am very interested in both, and can't see myself no longer studying math. On the flip side, I also like using mathematics in the context of physical problems. I'm very interested in relativity and quantum field theory. Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2017 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You can do both you know. Applied math and physics is a very nice combination.

4. Jan 12, 2017 #3
    As in a master's in applied math and PhD in physics? Or Major/minor in one or the other?

5. Jan 12, 2017 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Just do a PhD in one that involves a lot of the other.

6. Jan 12, 2017 #5
    Got it. Thank you!

7. Jan 12, 2017 #6

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You can be coadvised by people in each department. I have heard of that happening before.

At Cambridge, areas of theoretical physics like high energy theory are actually in the applied math department (DAMTP) for historical reasons. So that might be interesting to look into.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted