Applied Mathematics Graduate Degree

In summary, Jason is pursuing an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Mathematics. He is interested in pursuing a graduate degree in Applied Mathematics, but is unsure if his current Mechanical Engineering degree is sufficient. Jason recommends consulting with his advisor and studying the requirements for the various grad applied math programs he is interested in.
_N3WTON_
Hello all, I am currently pursuing an undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Mathematics. I choose to major in MechE because it seemed to me to be the most broad of the engineering disciplines and because I've heard the career prospects for people with engineering degrees are better than those without engineering degrees. However, I have recently started to realize that I am more passionate about mathematics than I am about engineering. For the record, I do well in my engineering classes and I do find certain topics interesting, just not to the same extent that I find the mathematics topics interesting. So, I had an idea that for grad school I could pursue a degree in Applied Mathematics, however, I am wondering if my MechE degree would be sufficient for me to be accepted into an Applied Math program? I know most Applied Math programs are part of a universities engineering department, so I doubt it would be a problem, but I wanted to get the opinion of people who may know for certain. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
However, I have recently started to realize that I am more passionate about mathematics than I am about engineering.

Don't jump to conclusions. I thought that about EE, but I was somewhat mistaken. You're passionate about undergraduate math, not research level math. You probably would want to take a couple more math classes beyond the minor, but they consider people with non-math degrees. You would also probably need to take the math subject GRE and study for it.

homeomorphic said:
Don't jump to conclusions. I thought that about EE, but I was somewhat mistaken. You're passionate about undergraduate math, not research level math..
Good point, I hadn't really thought of that. However, after browsing through the course catalog there are many more undergrad math classes I think would be interesting than there are ME classes that sound interesting. However, like you said it may be too early to tell, I've not yet studied the more advanced ME topics...

You should look at the requirements for the various grad applied math programs you are interested in. Most departments (at least in the US, and I am guessing most of the world) have everything online so google will be your best help. I have anecdotes that tell me that requirements can be very different depending on the university and program, so look carefully and plan your undergrad schedule carefully to make sure you are prepared. Speaking with your advisor is usually a good idea as well.

jason

Hello,

It is great to hear that you have found a passion for mathematics while pursuing your undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering. Pursuing a graduate degree in Applied Mathematics may be a great fit for you, as it will allow you to delve deeper into your interests and potentially open up new career opportunities.

As for your question about the sufficiency of your MechE degree for acceptance into an Applied Math program, it ultimately depends on the specific program and its admissions criteria. However, having a strong background in engineering, which often involves a significant amount of mathematics, will likely work in your favor. Additionally, your minor in mathematics shows that you have a strong foundation in the subject and are committed to furthering your knowledge in this area.

I suggest researching the specific Applied Math programs you are interested in and reaching out to their admissions offices for more information. They can provide you with a better understanding of their admissions requirements and how your MechE degree may fit into their program.

Best of luck in your academic pursuits!

1. What is an applied mathematics graduate degree?

An applied mathematics graduate degree is a postgraduate degree that focuses on the practical applications of mathematical theories and principles. It combines advanced mathematical concepts with real-world problem-solving techniques to solve complex problems in various fields such as engineering, finance, and computer science.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with an applied mathematics graduate degree?

There are a variety of career opportunities available for someone with an applied mathematics graduate degree. Some common career paths include data analyst, financial analyst, operations research analyst, and mathematician. Graduates can also pursue careers in academia, research, and consulting.

3. What skills will I develop through an applied mathematics graduate degree program?

An applied mathematics graduate degree program will help you develop a strong foundation in mathematical theories and techniques, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to apply mathematical concepts to real-world problems. You will also gain experience in data analysis, programming, and statistical modeling, which are highly valued skills in various industries.

4. Is an applied mathematics graduate degree suitable for me if I do not have an undergraduate degree in mathematics?

While having a background in mathematics can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for an applied mathematics graduate degree. Many programs welcome students from diverse educational backgrounds as long as they have a strong aptitude for mathematics and the willingness to learn. However, some prerequisite courses may be required to ensure you have the necessary mathematical foundation for the program.

5. What are the admission requirements for an applied mathematics graduate degree program?

The admission requirements for an applied mathematics graduate degree program may vary depending on the university or program. Generally, you will need a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as mathematics, engineering, or physics, along with strong grades in relevant coursework. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. It is best to check with the specific program for their specific admission requirements.