Applied Mathematics, or Physics undergrad?

In summary, the speaker is a first year engineering student who is considering pursuing a degree in math or science. They are drawn to mathematics that applies to the real world and are interested in understanding concepts like quantum physics and fractal mathematics. They are considering double majoring in applied mathematics and physics or majoring in one and minoring in the other. They are not concerned about income after college, as long as they are happy with their career choice. They are seeking advice and experiences from others in the field.
twhitney
Hey guys, I'm kinda new here, and I have a bit of a perplexing personal question. I'm a first year engineering student right now, nothing too crazy, just the jr. college level. But the more projects we do, and the more the class progresses, the more I find myself leaning more toward theory and mathematics than the actual design projects and hands on stuff (don't get me wrong, it's fun, but I don't really see myself doing it as a career or a degree). I'm pretty sure I wan't to pursue a degree that's heavy in math or science, and I love math that applies to the real world and our interpretation of the things around us. I want to figure out how and why things work, and find out more about things that I can't understand completely yet, like quantum physics, fractal mathematics, and chaos. I'm leaning toward applied mathematics, or physics. I've done a bit of research and can't find a sufficient comparison on any threads. Is it feasible to double major in both without killing myself academically, or major in one and minor in the other? Income after college isn't much of a concern, as long as I can live somewhat comfortably, I just want to do something that makes me happy. If anyone can share experiences in the field, or any knowledge at all, it would be much appreciated. :thumbs:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can double major in it. I know plenty of people at the university of South Carolina who were Applied math and physics majors. I suspect it differs by school though. But you could probably use the physics requirements to satisfy some requirements for you math major (cognate/electives)

1. What is the difference between applied mathematics and pure mathematics?

Applied mathematics involves the use of mathematical concepts and techniques to solve real-world problems, while pure mathematics focuses on developing and exploring abstract mathematical theories without any direct application.

2. What types of careers are available for those with an undergraduate degree in physics?

Graduates with an undergraduate degree in physics can pursue careers in various industries such as research and development, engineering, finance, and education. They may also work in fields such as renewable energy, aerospace, and healthcare.

3. How does studying applied mathematics or physics help in other fields?

Studying applied mathematics or physics teaches critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are useful in many industries. It also provides a strong foundation in quantitative reasoning, making it applicable to fields such as data analysis, computer science, and economics.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math and science to study applied mathematics or physics?

While a strong foundation in math and science is beneficial, it is not always necessary to have prior knowledge in these subjects to study applied mathematics or physics. With dedication and hard work, students can develop these skills and succeed in these fields.

5. What are some potential challenges of studying applied mathematics or physics?

Studying applied mathematics or physics can be challenging, as it requires strong mathematical skills and a deep understanding of abstract concepts. It also involves a significant amount of problem-solving and critical thinking, which can be mentally demanding. Additionally, the coursework can be rigorous and time-consuming, requiring students to stay organized and manage their time effectively.