Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied mathematics: What can I expect to study?

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    If I were to decide to pursue a degree in applied mathematics, what specific applications can one typically expect to study?

I’m just a little confused about what applied mathematics really is.

I want to learn about applications of mathematics to scientific/physical phenomena.

I am not interested at all about the application of mathematics to solving economic or industrial problems.

Should I consider another major?

What can I realistically expect to study?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
    Im not studying math but i have friends that does...

if you want to study physical phenomena there are also many area of mathemathics that physicist use: functional analysis, topology, algebraic geometry, symplectic geometries. But also statistical things and many others like computational stuff.

What im learning, studying theorethical physics and science in geneally is that our world force us to specialize in something and makes our mind thiniking that a doctor cannot solve a very difficult Integral. (i dont either). this is WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    In the past (newton,fermat,descartes...) they were just looking for knowledge in the spirit of what a RESEARCHER should be.
    So my suggestion is: go to University and do your first year, you'll find out by yourself waht is your vocation.

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    not interested in math in economics? i have a copy of Theory of Games and Economic Behavior by von neumann and morgenstern. not been able to read it yet but by glancing it looks like cool stuff.
  5. Feb 20, 2008 #4
    I'm going to say this because I think a lot of people have an odd view on what applied mathematics really is. Applied math is NOT the study of making mathematics into real world things, but more of taking real world ideas and turning them into math. If given the choice between studying a theorem useful to engineering or an interesting theorem, I feel most applied people will pick the interesting theorem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?