Applied or Pure Math: Which is More Beneficial for a Chemistry Major?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
ptolema
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
I'm just starting out right now as a math and chemistry major. Should I choose applied or pure math as my concentration? I've been told that applied math will help me with chem, and I agree. However, I also feel comfortable with the theoretical side of things, and it's a large part of what draws me to math. My ultimate career goal is in chemistry; what are the applications/benefits of pure math vs applied math in chem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the classes you would take in pure math vs the classes you would take in applied?
 
I need to take the Calc series, Diff Eq, Linear Algebra, and Analysis I for both. For pure math, I would take Analysis II, Complex Analysis, Modern Algebra, and Topology. For applied math, I would take Advanced Calc, Numerical Analysis, and Probability and Stats I.
 
Applied math would be FAR more benificial for you. Don't get me wrong, pure math is interesting, but it's pretty useless to you. Take it if you find it interesting, but applied math is what might help you later.
 
The most I can see the pure math helping you is that things like finite group representation theory might come up in some advanced chemistry (I'm unfamiliar with the details).

Realistically, most of a pure math degree won't be useful to you in any direct way.
 
deRham said:
The most I can see the pure math helping you is that things like finite group representation theory might come up in some advanced chemistry (I'm unfamiliar with the details).

Realistically, most of a pure math degree won't be useful to you in any direct way.

Alright, thanks!