Applied or pure maths major goes with Chemistry

In summary, the speaker is seeking guidance on choosing between a double major in Chemistry and Mathematics. They have completed their first year and are now deciding between Applied Maths and Pure Maths. Both majors require Linear Algebra, PDEs, and Complex Analysis, but Pure Maths also includes Real Analysis, Differential Geometry, and Algebra & Number Theory. The speaker is considering doing research in Chemistry, but may change their mind and pursue research in Mathematics later on. The advice given is to hedge against the possibility of changing their mind by choosing Pure Maths, as it will provide a strong preparation for graduate mathematics school.
m.mathaholic
Hi! This is my first post in this forum, hopefully I will get some guidance :)

Long story short, I am pretty much set in doing a double major in Chemistry and Mathematics.
The thing is, I'm really having trouble choosing between Applied Maths and Pure Maths major.

I have completed my first year, for maths, I have done Single-variable Calculus, Multivariable calculus and Differential Equations.

I will be doing Linear Algebra, PDEs and Complex Analysis for both majors.
If I do Pure Maths, I would also be doing Real Analysis, Differential Geometry and Algebra & Number Theory.
If I do Applied Maths, I would also be doing Computational Mathematics(= Numerical Analysis), Advanced ODEs and probably Mathematical Modelling.

Now I am thinking of doing research in Chemistry, but upon my graduating I might change my mind and go in research in Mathematics.

Which one would be better for me? Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to "hedge against" the possibility of changing your mind and choosing mathematics later on, I'd go with pure math. I am surprised that real analysis is not a requirement for the applied math major. If you want to go to a decent graduate mathematics school, you are going to want to take 2 real analysis classes, 2 abstract algebra classes, complex analysis, topology, PDE, and differential geometry if possible. If you take all of those it will be a very good preparation for mathematics grad school, applied or pure.

edit* and of course advanced linear algebra.

1. How does a major in applied or pure math complement a chemistry degree?

A major in applied or pure math can greatly enhance your understanding and problem-solving skills in chemistry. It provides a strong foundation in logical thinking, critical analysis, and quantitative reasoning, which are essential for understanding complex chemical concepts and conducting research in the field.

2. Can I pursue a career in chemistry with a major in applied or pure math?

Yes, a major in applied or pure math can open up various career opportunities in the field of chemistry. Many industries, such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and environmental science, require professionals with a strong background in both math and chemistry. You can also pursue a career in research or academia with this combination of majors.

3. Which courses in applied or pure math are most relevant for a chemistry major?

Some of the most relevant courses in applied or pure math for a chemistry major include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. These courses provide a solid foundation in mathematical principles and techniques that are commonly used in chemistry, such as modeling chemical reactions and analyzing data.

4. Is a double major in applied or pure math and chemistry a good idea?

It can be a great idea, as it allows you to develop a diverse set of skills and knowledge that can make you stand out in the job market. However, it requires a significant time and effort commitment, so it's important to carefully consider if it aligns with your career goals and interests.

5. Are there any specific career paths that combine applied or pure math and chemistry?

Yes, there are several career paths that require a combination of applied or pure math and chemistry. Some examples include computational chemistry, chemical engineering, and data analysis in the chemical industry. These careers often involve using mathematical models and techniques to solve practical problems in chemistry.