Applied physics at Rutgers-Newark

In summary, the individual is facing a dilemma about their acceptance into the Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark. They have concerns about the program's quality and whether they should have applied to a different campus. However, they are also relieved to have been accepted and are seeking advice on whether to worry about these concerns and how to make the most out of their experience at Rutgers. They are also considering transferring to a different program in the future.
concernedmartian
Hey. So I have a dilemma. I applied to the Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark. I got accepted, but one of my teachers told me that I applied to the wrong campus. He said they have a terrible program and shouldn't even give them the light of day. I felt so terrible. Then he continued to say that I shouldn't feel bad because New Brunswick would have been hard to get in anyway (I think he was trying to make me feel better by saying I wouldn't have gotten into the "right" campus anyway, but I could be overthinking it). So what do you guys think. I know they partner with NJIT, but he thinks they don't have adequate research and resources, too.

Ultimately, I want to do optics. The only other PhD programs that accepted me were Notre Dame and Howard Univ., but I wouldn't get a great "optics experience", especially at Notre Dame. They are best to go to for nuclear physics. Someone told me I should go somewhere, then transfer to a better program.

I'm not trying to make a sob story, but I've been completely stressed and drained from life since this summer. I've had so much going on, and when I got accepted into Rutgers-Newark, I felt so relieved. I was thinking "finally, something good". But now, I'm stressed out again. Is this something I shouldn't worry about. I know I should be grateful I even got into a school. Sorry if this post was too much.

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't offer any insight into that specific program, but you might want to consider a couple things.

First, what is this professor/teacher's assessment of this program based on? Does he actively do research in the same area and know the group there? Is it hearsay from other students? How old is his information? (Programs do change with time.)

Did he give you any specifics that were different from your own impressions of the program? I would presume that you're a grown-up and put a lot of thought into the decision to apply to this program and were happy that you got in.

Sometimes it's best to focus on the practical reality before you. You got into three programs. Based on your own assessment, Rutgers-Newark is the best of the three. Worrying about some other school is a moot point now.

Many opportunities in life are the result of what you make them. Focus on making this experience the best it can be. In a worst-case scenario you can try to transfer out, but why focus on that now? Instead, put your energy into picking a great project and supervisor. Put your energy into your initial PhD coursework and your comprehensive exam, etc.

Last edited:
Are there faculty at Rutgers who've sent their students to good jobs in academia or industry?

Yes?

Work for them!

No?

Look at the optics faculty at Howard/Notre Dame, pose the same question. Don't waste your time with the rankings.

Next, ask yourself if there are other fields of physics you're interested in. Also look at engineering departments since they sometimes have good optics.

If there's nobody you want to work for who's good at any of those programs, well, figure something else out.

1. What is the curriculum like for the Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark?

The curriculum for the Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in both theoretical and experimental physics, as well as practical skills in computer programming and data analysis. Courses cover topics such as classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and optics.

2. Are there any research opportunities for students in the Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark?

Yes, there are many research opportunities available for students in the Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark. The department has active research programs in areas such as biophysics, condensed matter physics, high energy physics, and materials science. Students can work with faculty members on research projects and may also have the opportunity to participate in internships or co-op experiences.

3. What career options are available for graduates of the Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark?

Graduates of the Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark have a wide range of career options available to them. Many go on to pursue further education in graduate programs in physics, engineering, or related fields. Others may find employment in industries such as healthcare, telecommunications, aerospace, or defense. The strong foundation in problem-solving and analytical skills provided by the program also makes graduates well-suited for careers in data analysis, finance, and consulting.

4. Are there any specialized tracks or concentrations within the Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark?

Yes, there are several specialized tracks and concentrations within the Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark. These include the Medical Physics concentration, which focuses on the application of physics to medical imaging and therapy, and the Nanotechnology track, which explores the physics of materials at the nanoscale. Students can also choose to specialize in a particular area of physics through their elective courses and research projects.

5. What resources and support are available for students in the Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark?

The Applied Physics program at Rutgers-Newark offers a variety of resources and support for students. This includes dedicated faculty advisors, who help students plan their academic and career paths, as well as tutoring and study groups for difficult courses. The department also has a strong alumni network, providing students with opportunities for mentorship and networking. Additionally, the Career Development Center offers job search assistance and career workshops specifically for students in the College of Arts and Sciences, where the Applied Physics program is housed.