1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Stats Help - Don't even understand the question

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose x = (x1, x2, ..., xn)T ∈ Rn is a random vector drawn from the n-dimensional
    standard Gaussian distribution N(0, I), where 0 = (0, 0, ..., 0)^T (0 vector transpose) and I is the identity matrix.
    (a) What distribution does ||x||^2 follow? Justify your answer.
    (b) On the average, how far away (in terms of squared Euclidean distance) from the
    origin do you expect x to be? In other words, what is E(||x||^2)?
    (c) Now suppose we fix x and draw another random vector z from N(0, I). If we
    project z onto the direction of x, how far away from the origin (again, in terms of squared
    Euclidean distance) do you expect the projection to be? (Hint: Let u be the unit vector
    pointing in the direction of x. Then, uT z is the projection of z onto the direction of x.
    Find the expectation and variance of uT z conditional on u.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

no attempt... don't even understand the question... :P

Thanks guys... ur help is greatly appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Start with the univariate case: if Z is normal 0, 1, what do you know about the distributoin of Z^2?
    If [tex] Z \sim \text{MVN}_n \big(0, I\big)[/tex], how does the univariate case relate to [tex] |Z|^2 [/tex] in the multivariate case?

Once you know the distribution of [tex] |Z|^2 [/tex] you can answer the second question. Work on those before thinking about the third.

4. Jan 20, 2010 #3
    i figured out a) and b).

It is a chi-square distribution since the ||x|| = sqrt(x1^2 + x2^2 + ... + xn^2) thus ||x||^2 = x1^2 + x2^2 + ... + xn^2. Since xi~N(0,1), it is chi-square.

and the expectation of a chi-square distribution is its degrees of freedom... in this case... E(||x||^2) = n

but now what's c)???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook