Stokes' Theorem Example Question

• Thread starter Master1022
  • Start date
Summary:: This question is about a Stokes' Theorem question that I saw on Khan Academy and I am trying to attempt to solve it a different way.

The problem is as follows:

Problem: Let [itex] \vec{F} = \begin{pmatrix} -y^2 \\ x \\ z^2 \end{pmatrix} [/itex]. Evaluate [itex] \oint \vec F \cdot d \vec {r} [/itex] over the path [itex] C [/itex] in the CCW direction where C is given by the intersection between [itex] x^2 + y^2 = 1 [/itex] and [itex] y + z = 2 [/itex].

My attempt:
So I first started by noting Stokes' Theorem: [itex] \oint_C \vec F \cdot d \vec {r} = \iint_S (\nabla \times \vec F) \cdot d \vec S [/itex].

I thought to find the normal vector [itex] \hat n [/itex]:
[tex] \hat n = \frac{\nabla (y + z - 2 = 0)}{||\nabla (y + z - 2 = 0)||} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Then I went to find the curl of the surface:
[tex] \nabla \times \vec F = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 + 2y \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and therefore: [itex] (\nabla \times \vec F) \cdot (\hat n dS) = \frac{1 + 2y}{\sqrt{2}} dS[/itex]

Then I chose to evaluate the integral in polar coordinates: [itex] x = r\cos(\phi), y = r\sin(\phi), z = 2 - r\sin(\phi) [/itex]. I let [itex] dS = r dr d\phi [/itex] and I used the limits r: 0 to 1 and [itex] 0 \leq \phi \leq 2\pi [/itex]. However evaluating this gives me the answer [itex] \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex], when the video shows that the answer is [itex] \pi [/itex]. I realise that this must have to do with my evaluation of [itex] d \vec S [/itex], and is perhaps suggesting that I shouldn't normalised the normal vector.

Would anyone be able to help shed some insight on this for me? Thanks in advance.

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I let dS=rdrdϕdS=rdrdϕ dS = r dr d\phi
In general, it is far easier to treat ##\hat n## and ##dS## together as
$$
d\vec S = \hat n \, dS = \left(\frac{\partial \vec x}{\partial s} \times \frac{\partial \vec x}{\partial t}\right) ds\, dt,
$$
where ##t## and ##s## represent any choice of coordinates on your surface.

Also, note that your plane is not parallel to the x-y-plane. Your assumed dS is only valid if it is.

Likes Master1022
In general, it is far easier to treat ##\hat n## and ##dS## together as
$$
d\vec S = \hat n \, dS = \left(\frac{\partial \vec x}{\partial s} \times \frac{\partial \vec x}{\partial t}\right) ds\, dt,
$$
where ##t## and ##s## represent any choice of coordinates on your surface.

Also, note that your plane is not parallel to the x-y-plane. Your assumed dS is only valid if it is.
Thank you very much. I think I have skipped steps in just trying to reduce the problem to the [itex] x-y [/itex] plane.

I just have one or two quick follow up questions based on that:

1) So should I have gone about that part of the working like: ?
[tex] \vec S = x \hat i + y \hat j + ( 1 - x - y ) \hat k [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial \vec S}{\partial x} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix} , \frac{\partial \vec S}{\partial y} = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]
[tex] \hat n dS = \frac{\partial \vec S}{\partial x} \times \frac{\partial \vec S}{\partial y} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} dx dy [/tex]

So is this telling me that an 'elemental area' on the surface of the plane is [itex] \sqrt{3} [/itex] times larger than the area [itex] dx dy [/itex] in the [itex] x-y [/itex] plane?

2) Do the magnitudes always cancel out for between [itex] \hat n [/itex] and 'dS'? I ask this because I think it is still quicker (at least in this problem) to just get the [itex] \hat n [/itex] as I did above, but I could just ignore the normalization constant, knowing that it will cancel out.

Many thanks for the help

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2) Do the magnitudes always cancel out for between [itex] \hat n [/itex] and 'dS'? I ask this because I think it is still quicker (at least in this problem) to just get the [itex] \hat n [/itex] as I did above, but I could just ignore the normalization constant, knowing that it will cancel out.

Many thanks for the help
Yes, they always cancel out. If your surface is ##S: \vec R = \vec R(s,t)## then your unit normal vector will be $$\hat n = \pm \frac {\vec R_s \times \vec R_t}{|\vec R_s \times \vec R_t|}$$ and your element of surface area is ##dS = |\vec R_s \times \vec R_t|ds dt##. So when you calculate
##d\vec S = \pm \hat n dS## the ## |\vec R_s \times \vec R_t|## terms cancel out. The choice of the ##\pm## is taken so that ##\pm \vec R_s \times \vec R_t## agrees with the given orientation.

Last edited:
Likes Master1022
Yes, they always cancel out. If your surface is ##S: \vec R = \vec R(s,t)## then your normal vector will be $$\hat n = \pm \frac {\vec R_s \times \vec R_t}{|\vec R_s \times \vec R_t|}$$ and your element of surface area is ##dS = |\vec R_s \times \vec R_t|ds dt##. So when you calculate
##d\vec S = \pm \hat n dS## the ## |\vec R_s \times \vec R_t|## terms cancel out. The choice of the ##\pm## is taken so that ##\pm \vec R_s \times \vec R_t## agrees with the given orientation.
Thank you very much for responding

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
1) So should I have gone about that part of the working like: ?

→S=x^i+y^j+(1−x−y)^k​
The z-component does not look correct to me. You want the surface given by ##z=2-y##.

The z-component does not look correct to me. You want the surface given by ##z=2-y##.
Yes, you are correct. I accidentally mixed up a similar question with this one when typing that. Then calculating [itex] \hat n dS [/itex] does yield a 'non-normalised' version of the normal vector which I calculated above.

Thanks