Applying for jobs lets be realistic.

• Admissions
  • Thread starter ENGRedcupcake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, the person is graduating in May with a B.S. in Graphic Design and a BSEET from Georgia Southern. They are looking for job opportunities outside of Georgia and are wondering what type of companies would be their best bet. They mention that their school's department is focused on job placement in and around Georgia, but they are hoping to find work in a different area. They also mention that their graphic design studies focus on industrial drafting and design, web and publication design, and creating websites and designs for businesses. They are open to working in different industries and are considering product design consultancies as a potential option. They have experience with CAD and are willing to relocate to a high tech region for job opportunities.
ENGRedcupcake
So I'm graduating in may o8...can't wait!. (sorry I've been saying that way too much) I'll be getting a B.S in Graphic Design and a BSEET. I go to georgia southern but i'd really really really like to leave georgia for awhile just a change of scenerey really. I hope it's possible. My school's dept is really focused on job placement in and around georgia so most of the people at our job fair are hiring for Savannah and Atlanta or Augusta (where I'm from). So my question is when I go looking for jobs to apply to what type of companies are my best bet. I k now I'm not an EE major so it's not like google or GE are going to give me the time of day. do where? and when they say EE or similar discipline for degree requirements does that include EET? I do have safespot if it doesn't work: my sister is a VP at sam's and keeps telling me they hire people in the engineering field. but bentonville's a bit flat and nondiverse for my liking.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a BSEET? You are a Graphic Designer = artist/illustrator?
Unfortunately most work in this field is likely to be contract and there is a lot of competition - it's not a field with a very high barrier to entry (see nephew art).
The only way to make money is probably to create a syndicated cartoon!

Entry level jobs at ad agencies, game companies and anywhere else 'cool' are likely to be fought over, do you have a portfolio of work? Are there any 'uncool' industries that could use your skills?

mgb_phys said:
What is a BSEET?

I am pretty sure he means a B.S. in Electrical Engineering Technology.

yea... BSEET is in Electrical Engineering technology... and with a name like cupcake I'm not a he. lol . My graphic design studies mainly is focused in industrial drafting and design (which really helps in the EET dept b/c i learned CAD before any of my fellow classmates) and web and publication design. Very non exciting things like designing websites for businesses and formatting and designing annual reports, brochures, catolgues, stationary and whatnots.

Interesting combination EEng and graphic design!
Didn't mean to sound rude but there isn't exactly a shortage of 'designers'.

Product design consultancies are good start especially if you are more technically qualified than the typical 'felt-tip fairy'. (1)
Knowing hi-end cad like ProEngineer/Autocad Inventor definitely helps.
I don't know of any specific companies in the US, you should probably pick an area to live and then look for an employer, they are likely to be spread around any high tech region.

(1) Official engineering term for desginer brought in by a company who has more piercings than IQ points and 'designs' the poduct with a few coloured swipes of a pen that the 'real' engineers then have to try and get an injection mould tool to make.

Last edited:
felt tip fairy... lol. ...new favourite phrase. thanks for the advise

Related to Applying for jobs lets be realistic.

1. What are the most important factors to consider when applying for jobs?

The most important factors to consider when applying for jobs are your qualifications and experience, the job requirements and responsibilities, the company culture and values, the location and salary, and your personal goals and interests.

2. How can I stand out in the job application process?

To stand out in the job application process, you can tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job and company, showcase your unique skills and experiences, and network and make connections in your desired industry. Additionally, having a strong online presence and a professional portfolio can also make you stand out to potential employers.

3. How important is it to follow up on job applications?

Following up on job applications is important as it shows your interest and enthusiasm for the position. It also allows you to inquire about the status of your application and potentially provide additional information or updates that may strengthen your candidacy.

4. How should I prepare for a job interview?

To prepare for a job interview, you should research the company and the position, practice common interview questions, and prepare questions to ask the interviewer. It is also important to dress professionally, arrive early, and bring copies of your resume and any relevant documents.

5. How can I handle rejection in the job application process?

Rejection is a common part of the job application process, and it is important to handle it in a positive and professional manner. Take the time to reflect on any areas for improvement and continue to apply for other opportunities. It can also be helpful to reach out to the employer for feedback on your application and interview to help improve for future opportunities.