Using Ito's lemma to find the SDE for z from the SDE for √z

  • Thread starter Thread starter jend23
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jend23
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hello,

Homework Statement


Given the process
[tex] d\sqrt{z} = (\alpha - \beta\sqrt{z})dt + \delta dW[/tex]

[itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] are constants.

Use Ito's Lemma to show that:
[tex] dz = (\delta^2 + 2\alpha\sqrt{z} - 2\beta z)dt + 2\delta\sqrt{z}dW[/tex]

Homework Equations


Itos Lemma:
[tex] df = \left(\frac{∂f}{∂t} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{∂^2f}{∂W^2}\right)dt + \frac{∂f}{∂W}dW[/tex]
where [itex]t[/itex] is time and [itex]W[/itex] a Wiener process.


The Attempt at a Solution



Essentially, I have a bit of a mental block about how to start going about solving this. I'm sure it's relatively simple though if I had a hint on the right direction to take.

In the first equation, the diffusion coefficient is:

[tex] \frac{∂f}{∂W} = \delta[/tex]

The drift is:
[tex] \frac{∂f}{∂t} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{∂^2f}{∂W^2} = \alpha - \beta\sqrt{z}[/tex]

I also know that [itex]dW^2[/itex] can be replaced with [itex]dt[/itex].

To simplify, let [itex]y=\sqrt{z}[/itex] so the SDE becomes:

[tex] dy = (\alpha - \beta y)dt + \delta dW[/tex]

Can we use the simpler form of Ito's Lemma since drift does not seem to be a function of t i.e. [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂t}[/itex] is 0 and the partial derivatives can become ordinary derivatives?

I don't really know where to go from there. I'm sure I'm missing something simple and obvious. Ideally, if possible I'd like to be given a hint about how to go about solving this problem.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jend23 said:
Hello,

Homework Statement


Given the process
[tex] d\sqrt{z} = (\alpha - \beta\sqrt{z})dt + \delta dW[/tex]

[itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] are constants.

Use Ito's Lemma to show that:
[tex] dz = (\delta^2 + 2\alpha\sqrt{z} - 2\beta z)dt + 2\delta\sqrt{z}dW[/tex]

Homework Equations


Itos Lemma:
[tex] df = \left(\frac{∂f}{∂t} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{∂^2f}{∂W^2}\right)dt + \frac{∂f}{∂W}dW[/tex]
where [itex]t[/itex] is time and [itex]W[/itex] a Wiener process.


The Attempt at a Solution



Essentially, I have a bit of a mental block about how to start going about solving this. I'm sure it's relatively simple though if I had a hint on the right direction to take.

In the first equation, the diffusion coefficient is:

[tex] \frac{∂f}{∂W} = \delta[/tex]

The drift is:
[tex] \frac{∂f}{∂t} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{∂^2f}{∂W^2} = \alpha - \beta\sqrt{z}[/tex]

I also know that [itex]dW^2[/itex] can be replaced with [itex]dt[/itex].

To simplify, let [itex]y=\sqrt{z}[/itex] so the SDE becomes:

[tex] dy = (\alpha - \beta y)dt + \delta dW[/tex]

Can we use the simpler form of Ito's Lemma since drift does not seem to be a function of t i.e. [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂t}[/itex] is 0 and the partial derivatives can become ordinary derivatives?

I don't really know where to go from there. I'm sure I'm missing something simple and obvious. Ideally, if possible I'd like to be given a hint about how to go about solving this problem.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

You are mis-stating Ito's Lemma. You should have: if [tex]dX = a(X,t) dt + b(X,t) dW[/tex] and if ##Y = f(X,t)##, then
[tex]dY = f_{x}(X,t)\, dX + f_t(X,t)\, dt + \frac{1}{2} f_{xx}(X,t) b^2(X,t) dt[/tex]
In your case,
[tex]X = \sqrt{z}, \: Y = X^2.[/tex]
 
Ray Vickson said:
You are mis-stating Ito's Lemma. You should have: if [tex]dX = a(X,t) dt + b(X,t) dW[/tex] and if ##Y = f(X,t)##, then
[tex]dY = f_{x}(X,t)\, dX + f_t(X,t)\, dt + \frac{1}{2} f_{xx}(X,t) b^2(X,t) dt[/tex]
In your case,
[tex]X = \sqrt{z}, \: Y = X^2.[/tex]

Thanks for the pointer and after reviewing my notes a few more times, it has now become embarrassingly obvious. Much appreciated.

So, we have
[tex] dX = (\alpha - \beta X)dt + \delta dW[/tex]

[tex] \frac{∂Y}{∂t} = 0, \frac{∂Y}{∂X} = 2x, \frac{∂^2Y}{∂X^2} = 2[/tex]

therefore, from (slightly different notation and arrangement to your one):

[tex] dY = \left(\frac{∂Y}{∂t} + a(X,t)\frac{∂Y}{∂X} + \frac{1}{2}b(X,t)^2\frac{∂^2Y}{∂X^2}\right)dt + b(X,t)\frac{∂Y}{∂X}dW[/tex]

we have:

[tex] dY = \left( 0 + (\alpha - \beta X)(2X) + \frac{1}{2}\delta^2(2) \right)dt + \delta(2X)dW[/tex]

[tex] = \left(2\alpha X - 2\beta X^2 + \delta^2 \right)dt + 2\delta X dW[/tex]

substituting back ##\sqrt{z}## for ##X## yields the required result.

Thanks again!