Applying Itos Lemma to show one SDE is related to another.

• Thread starter jend23
  • Start date
In summary, the student is having trouble solving a homework problem and is looking for help. They have discovered that Ito's Lemma can be used to simplify the equation and that the drift is not a function of time. They are currently working on simplifying the equation further.
jend23
Hello,

Homework Statement

Given the process
[tex]
d\sqrt{z} = (\alpha - \beta\sqrt{z})dt + \delta dW
[/tex]

[itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] are constants.

Use Ito's Lemma to show that:
[tex]
dz = (\delta^2 + 2\alpha\sqrt{z} - 2\beta z)dt + 2\delta\sqrt{z}dW
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Itos Lemma:
[tex]
df = \left(\frac{∂f}{∂t} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{∂^2f}{∂W^2}\right)dt + \frac{∂f}{∂W}dW
[/tex]
where [itex]t[/itex] is time and [itex]W[/itex] a Wiener process.

The Attempt at a Solution

Essentially, I have a bit of a mental block about how to start going about solving this. I'm sure it's relatively simple though if I had a hint on the right direction to take.

In the first equation, the diffusion coefficient is:

[tex]
\frac{∂f}{∂W} = \delta
[/tex]

The drift is:
[tex]
\frac{∂f}{∂t} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{∂^2f}{∂W^2} = \alpha - \beta\sqrt{z}
[/tex]

I also know that [itex]dW^2[/itex] can be replaced with [itex]dt[/itex].

To simplify, let [itex]y=\sqrt{z}[/itex] so the SDE becomes:

[tex]
dy = (\alpha - \beta y)dt + \delta dW
[/tex]

Can we use the simpler form of Ito's Lemma since drift does not seem to be a function of t i.e. [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂t}[/itex] is 0 and the partial derivatives can become ordinary derivatives?

I don't really know where to go from there. I'm sure I'm missing something simple and obvious. Ideally, if possible I'd like to be given a hint about how to go about solving this problem.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jend23 said:
Hello,

Homework Statement

Given the process
[tex]
d\sqrt{z} = (\alpha - \beta\sqrt{z})dt + \delta dW
[/tex]

[itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] are constants.

Use Ito's Lemma to show that:
[tex]
dz = (\delta^2 + 2\alpha\sqrt{z} - 2\beta z)dt + 2\delta\sqrt{z}dW
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Itos Lemma:
[tex]
df = \left(\frac{∂f}{∂t} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{∂^2f}{∂W^2}\right)dt + \frac{∂f}{∂W}dW
[/tex]
where [itex]t[/itex] is time and [itex]W[/itex] a Wiener process.

The Attempt at a Solution

Essentially, I have a bit of a mental block about how to start going about solving this. I'm sure it's relatively simple though if I had a hint on the right direction to take.

In the first equation, the diffusion coefficient is:

[tex]
\frac{∂f}{∂W} = \delta
[/tex]

The drift is:
[tex]
\frac{∂f}{∂t} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{∂^2f}{∂W^2} = \alpha - \beta\sqrt{z}
[/tex]

I also know that [itex]dW^2[/itex] can be replaced with [itex]dt[/itex].

To simplify, let [itex]y=\sqrt{z}[/itex] so the SDE becomes:

[tex]
dy = (\alpha - \beta y)dt + \delta dW
[/tex]

Can we use the simpler form of Ito's Lemma since drift does not seem to be a function of t i.e. [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂t}[/itex] is 0 and the partial derivatives can become ordinary derivatives?

I don't really know where to go from there. I'm sure I'm missing something simple and obvious. Ideally, if possible I'd like to be given a hint about how to go about solving this problem.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

You are mis-stating Ito's Lemma. You should have: if [tex]dX = a(X,t) dt + b(X,t) dW [/tex] and if ##Y = f(X,t)##, then
[tex] dY = f_{x}(X,t)\, dX + f_t(X,t)\, dt + \frac{1}{2} f_{xx}(X,t) b^2(X,t) dt [/tex]
In your case,
[tex] X = \sqrt{z}, \: Y = X^2.[/tex]

Ray Vickson said:
You are mis-stating Ito's Lemma. You should have: if [tex]dX = a(X,t) dt + b(X,t) dW [/tex] and if ##Y = f(X,t)##, then
[tex] dY = f_{x}(X,t)\, dX + f_t(X,t)\, dt + \frac{1}{2} f_{xx}(X,t) b^2(X,t) dt [/tex]
In your case,
[tex] X = \sqrt{z}, \: Y = X^2.[/tex]

Thanks for the pointer and after reviewing my notes a few more times, it has now become embarrassingly obvious. Much appreciated.

So, we have
[tex]
dX = (\alpha - \beta X)dt + \delta dW
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{∂Y}{∂t} = 0, \frac{∂Y}{∂X} = 2x, \frac{∂^2Y}{∂X^2} = 2
[/tex]

therefore, from (slightly different notation and arrangement to your one):

[tex]
dY = \left(\frac{∂Y}{∂t} + a(X,t)\frac{∂Y}{∂X} + \frac{1}{2}b(X,t)^2\frac{∂^2Y}{∂X^2}\right)dt + b(X,t)\frac{∂Y}{∂X}dW
[/tex]

we have:

[tex]
dY = \left( 0 + (\alpha - \beta X)(2X) + \frac{1}{2}\delta^2(2) \right)dt + \delta(2X)dW
[/tex]

[tex]
= \left(2\alpha X - 2\beta X^2 + \delta^2 \right)dt + 2\delta X dW
[/tex]

substituting back ##\sqrt{z}## for ##X## yields the required result.

Thanks again!

1. What is Itos Lemma?

Itos Lemma is a mathematical tool used in stochastic calculus to determine the differential of a function of a stochastic process. It is often used to solve differential equations involving stochastic processes.

2. How is Itos Lemma applied to show one SDE is related to another?

To apply Itos Lemma, we first need to express the two SDEs in a standardized form. Then, we use Itos Lemma to calculate the differential of the function of the first SDE. Finally, we equate this with the differential of the function of the second SDE to show their relationship.

3. What are the benefits of using Itos Lemma?

Itos Lemma allows us to solve differential equations involving stochastic processes, which are often used in modeling real-world phenomena. It also provides a way to calculate the expected value and variance of the solution to these equations.

4. Can Itos Lemma be applied to any type of SDE?

Yes, Itos Lemma can be applied to any type of SDE, as long as it is in a standardized form. This includes linear and nonlinear SDEs, as well as SDEs with time-dependent coefficients.

5. Are there any limitations to using Itos Lemma?

Itos Lemma can only be applied to SDEs that have a continuous sample path. Also, the function of the SDEs must be twice-differentiable in order for Itos Lemma to be used. In some cases, Itos Lemma may also result in complex or non-analytic solutions.