Applying Lorentzian Broadening in Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter castep_nut
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Broadening
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
castep_nut
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am predominantly a chemist researching electron energy loss spectroscopy, though have recently expressed some interest in spectral modelling. An area that perplexes me somewhat is applying broadening to a spectrum . For example, if I calculate a spectrum such that:

Energy Intensity
0 x
1 y
2
3 ...
4 ...


How can I apply for example a Lorentzian broadening factor to this? Any help would be most welcome.

CN
 
Physics news on Phys.org
castep_nut said:
I am predominantly a chemist researching electron energy loss spectroscopy, though have recently expressed some interest in spectral modelling. An area that perplexes me somewhat is applying broadening to a spectrum . For example, if I calculate a spectrum such that:

Energy Intensity
0 x
1 y
2
3 ...
4 ...


How can I apply for example a Lorentzian broadening factor to this? Any help would be most welcome.

CN

You do a convolution of the actual spectrum (i.e. the data) with the broadening spectrum (your Lorentzian).

Zz.