1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying the Biot-Savart Law to solenoids

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1
    Not really homework but I figured this was the best place to post anyway.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to find the magnetic field B for an arbitrary solenoid using the Biot-Savart Law. I can find it easily through Ampere's Law, but I'd like mastery over the Biot-Savart Law.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]B=\frac{μ_{0}}{4\pi}\int \frac{K \times (r-r')}{|r-r'|^3}da' [/tex]
    As there's no curly r as used in Griffiths Electrodynamnics, I'll replace curly r with an arbitrary symbol γ such that
    [tex]\gamma=r-r'[/tex]
    Thus
    [tex]\hat{\gamma}=\frac {r-r'}{|r-r'|}[/tex]
    And so
    [tex]B=\frac{μ_{0}}{4\pi}\int \frac{K \times \hat{\gamma}}{\gamma^2}da' [/tex]
    Maybe unnecessary but perhaps not. I just enjoy that notation as it's what I'm used to.

3. The attempt at a solution

As K is the surface charge density, I'll make the supposition that
    [tex]K=\frac{NI}{L}=nI[/tex]
    where N is the number of turns on the solenoid, and L is the length of said solenoid.

And this is where I get stuck. Whereas I easily found the magnetic field due to a single loop of wire, the solenoid having length makes me be very unsure as to where to even begin. Whereas a loop of wire has γ easily defined as
    [tex]\gamma=\sqrt {R^2+x^2}[/tex]
    where R is the radius of the loop of wire and x is the distance of an arbitrary point M along the same axis as the loop

I've found that γ at the part of the solenoid closest to M is equal to
    [tex]\gamma=\sqrt {R^2+x^2}[/tex]
    the part of the solenoid furthest from M gives a γ of
    [tex]\gamma=\sqrt {R^2+(x+L)^2}[/tex]

I'm really lost. This doesn't mean I haven't tried my hardest or I'm being lazy. Any attempt to solve in a similar manner to that of a loop of wire ends up giving me multiple integrals that become a massive headache really quickly. Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. If anything is unclear, let me know so I can try to either clarify my language or even attempt to draw a (likely very poor quality) image.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps example 30.33 here ? It's already pretty hefty.
    But I suppose you already went through that and now want a real challenge.
    However, the general case is probably done numerically most of the time ('using software' this guy says :) ).

4. Feb 15, 2015 #3
    I hadn't done one like that problem actually so thank you so much for that! And I'm a little disappointed the integrals are very difficult by hand, but at least now I know a little better when to use Ampere's Law. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted