Biot-Savart law My proof includes a negative sign

In summary, the current flowing through the loop creates a magnetic field at a point on the x-axis. The magnetic field is in the direction of the current, and the Biot-Savart law was used to calculate it.
etothey1

Homework Statement

A square coil of wire of side length 2a lies in the yz plane. A current I flows through the loop. The x-axis is defined such that it passes through the centre of the loop, with the loop boundaries being at z±a and y=±a respectively. Given that I flows in a direction anticlockwise with respect to the x-axis use the Biot Savart law to show that the B field at a point P along the positive x-axis due to the side of the loot at z=a is given by

B=[itex]\frac{I*u_{0}}{4* pi}[/itex]∫(x[itex]\hat{k}[/itex] + a[itex]\hat{i}[/itex])dy/(y[itex]^{2}[/itex] + a[itex]^{2}[/itex] + x[itex]^{2}[/itex])[itex]^{3/2}[/itex] . This integral goes from negative to positive a.

Homework Equations

Biot Savart law, written in the solution. Note that dl has direction, same as current.

The Attempt at a Solution

Shown in the image

Issues:
My issue is that I get a negative sign in my solution, thus I believe that the negative sign was forgotten in the given answer of the problem.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8818/solutiondj.jpg

Homework Statement

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I should remove the sign in dl=-dly, that will fix things, and also makes the magnetic field at point p be appropriate.

The given answer is correct:
r = x i - y j - a k
dl = -dy j
dl x r = a*dl i + x*dl k
dB = (μ0/4π)(a*dy i + x*dy k)
B = (μ0/4π)(a i + x k){∫dy/r^3}

where r^2 = x^2 + a^2 + z^2
and the integration is from y= -a to y = +a.

Note that in the answer the term a i + x k can be taken outside the integration sign.

Last edited:
Your error was integrating from a to -a. Why did you do that?

rude man said:
Your error was integrating from a to -a. Why did you do that?
Hi! thanks for you're response. I integrated from a to negative a because it is a line integral and the curve is from a to negative a (because the current flows in that direction)
therefore I integrated along the direction of the current ( also because my problem is set up to be integrated like that)

However, i believe the problem lies in dl and the integration. If i choose that dl=-dyj then i have to integrate form negative
a to a to get it correct. But if I choose dl=dyj and i integrate it from negative a to a then it becomes correct.

I read about the current density which the biot-savart law comes from. The current density has a direction along the current,
by changing a volume integral into line integral, dl and changing current density to current, dl is in direction of current density, current, which gives me -dyj.
but i believe i should have dyj and the direction of the integral takes care of the sign for dyj.

Last edited:
etothey1 said:
Hi! thanks for you're response. I integrated from a to negative a because it is a line integral and the curve is from a to negative a (because the current flows in that direction)
therefore I integrated along the direction of the current ( also because my problem is set up to be integrated like that)

However, i believe the problem lies in dl and the integration. If i choose that dl=-dyj then i have to integrate form negative
a to a to get it correct. But if I choose dl=dyj and i integrate it from negative a to a then it becomes correct.

I read about the current density which the biot-savart law comes from. The current density has a direction along the current,
by changing a volume integral into line integral, dl and changing current density to current, dl is in direction of current density, current, which gives me -dyj.
but i believe i should have dyj and the direction of the integral takes care of the sign for dyj.

Well, you have to be careful with your integration.

You're integrating wrt y, not l. So you have to integrate from - to +. There is no choice.

The direction of current is taken care of when you defined dl = - dy. From then on it's strictly math; the physics is left in the dust!

Anyway - all's well ...

What is the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field generated by a steady current in a wire. It was first introduced by French physicists Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart in the early 19th century.

What does the Biot-Savart law state?

The Biot-Savart law states that the magnetic field at a point in space, created by a current-carrying wire, is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point. It is also inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the wire and the point.

Why does the Biot-Savart law include a negative sign?

The negative sign in the Biot-Savart law represents the vector nature of magnetic fields. It indicates that the magnetic field at a point is in the opposite direction of the current flow. This sign is crucial in determining the direction of the magnetic field and its effects on other charged particles.

How is the Biot-Savart law derived?

The Biot-Savart law can be derived from Ampere's law and the principle of superposition. It can also be derived from the Lorentz force law, which describes the force exerted on a charged particle by an electric and magnetic field. The two approaches lead to the same result and are both valid methods of deriving the Biot-Savart law.

What are the applications of the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the magnetic field of various current-carrying devices, such as motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the design of electromagnets, magnetic sensors, and particle accelerators. Additionally, the Biot-Savart law is essential in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields and plays a crucial role in the study of plasma physics and astrophysics.