Different forms of Biot-Savart Law

In summary, the equation V x r^hat can be used to determine the magnetic field at a point if r is known, but the equation 1/r^3 can also be used to calculate the magnetic field at a point if r is known.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
What expressions give the magnetic field at the point r due to the moving charge?
Relevant Equations
Biot-Savart Law
My book never references the Biot-Savart law with in terms of 1/r^3, only 1/r^2.

How is it that it can be expressed as 1/r^3 as well
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 7.55.27 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
##\hat{\boldsymbol{r}}/r^2 = \boldsymbol{r}/r^3##

Likes guyvsdcsniper
ergospherical said:
##\hat{\boldsymbol{r}}/r^2 = \boldsymbol{r}/r^3##
So after look at some problems I think I kinda get why.

Originally the equation is V x r^hat and that is being used when we just want to know the magnetic field at a point. So you cross product those two values and you will get the direction.

In this problem, at the point (x1,0,z1) we use the actual r vector which is in the direction of k^hat and i^hat. If we cross product those two values with k^hat, the direction the the particle is moving, we are left with j^hat.

So if the point we want to evaluate lies at a point in that has more than one direction vector, we use r/r^3 ?

You can use whichever form you want / is more convenient.

ergospherical said:
You can use whichever form you want / is more convenient.
So my homework used the formula with r/r^3 which I guess I can see is more convenient.
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 8.44.27 PM.png

But when I use the r^hat/r^2 I get a different answer
IMG_7433.JPG

Just focusing on the part of the equation that deals with the cross product and the distance, my distance isn't raised to the 3/2 power. Am I missing a step?

I know this may seem trivial or unnecessary but I just want to make sure how to properly use both equations.

##\hat{\boldsymbol{r}} = \boldsymbol{r}/r = (x \boldsymbol{i} + z \boldsymbol{k})/\sqrt{x^2 + z^2}##, as opposed to just ##x \boldsymbol{i} + z \boldsymbol{k}## as you wrote...

ergospherical said:
##\hat{\boldsymbol{r}} = \boldsymbol{r}/r = (x \boldsymbol{i} + z \boldsymbol{k})/\sqrt{x^2 + z^2}##, as opposed to just ##x \boldsymbol{i} + z \boldsymbol{k}## as you wrote...
Oh mannnn I just needed to think a little bit harder. That make so much sense. A unit vector is a vector divided by its magnitude. If I used my approach the problem above, my distance would be x^2+z^2 but then when I use the unit vector the denominator (x^2+z^2)^1 gets multiplied by (x^2+z^2)^1/2 and I ultimately end up with ^3/2.

That makes so much sense. Thank you so much.

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current in a wire. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point.

2. What are the different forms of the Biot-Savart Law?

There are two main forms of the Biot-Savart Law: the integral form and the differential form. The integral form is used to calculate the magnetic field at a point due to a current-carrying wire, while the differential form is used to calculate the magnetic field at a point due to a current density distribution.

3. How do the integral and differential forms of the Biot-Savart Law differ?

The integral form of the Biot-Savart Law involves integrating over the entire length of the wire, while the differential form involves taking the derivative of the magnetic field with respect to position. The integral form is more useful for calculating the magnetic field at a specific point, while the differential form is better for analyzing the magnetic field in a continuous medium.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is used in many practical applications, such as calculating the magnetic field of a solenoid, a current-carrying wire, or a loop of wire. It is also used in the design of electromagnets, motors, and generators. Additionally, the Biot-Savart Law is important in the study of magnetic materials and their behavior in different environments.

5. How does the Biot-Savart Law relate to other laws in electromagnetism?

The Biot-Savart Law is closely related to other laws in electromagnetism, such as Ampere's Law and Gauss's Law for magnetism. These laws all describe the behavior of magnetic fields and are used together to solve complex problems in electromagnetism. The Biot-Savart Law is also a fundamental part of Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in relation to each other.