Applying the Laplace transform to solve Differential equations

In summary, a Laplace transform can be applied to a differential equation of finite order to obtain an algebraic equation. This is only valid for differential equations with constant coefficients. An example of this transformation is the equation ##y''(t)+\sin(t)y(t)=0## with initial conditions ##y(0)=A## and ##y'(0)=B##. However, it is not clear why one would want to do this or if it is valid in all cases.
Is it possible to apply Laplace transform to some equation of finite order, second for instance, and get the differential equation of infinite order?

Physics news on Phys.org
A laplace transform turns a differential equation into an algebraic equation.

If you had a term like ##\sin t\,y##, you could expand ##\sin t## as a series and take the Laplace transform of the result term by term, which would give you a bunch of derivatives of Y(s). I'm not sure why you'd want to do that though or if doing so is valid.

pasmith said:
A laplace transform turns a differential equation into an algebraic equation.
It is only in the case when you have a differential equation with constant coefficients.

Do you have an example in mind?

##y''(t)+\sin(t)y(t)=0##, where ##y(0)=A##, ##y'(0)=B##. If I apply the Laplace transform would I get the differential equation of infinite order?

Suggested for: Applying the Laplace transform to solve Differential equations

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies