1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying to the Summer or Winter semester in Europe?

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    I was wondering if applying to the summer or winter semesters in European countries (esp. France and Germany) would affect my chances of being accepted in the physics fields.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For a BSc? In Germany, just a few universities have special requirements, and there I don't think there is a large difference between summer and winter. In addition, if you don't get accepted, you can try again half a year later, waiting without an application certainly does not help. Schedules are easier if you start in winter as most courses are designed for that.
    Keep in mind that a significant fraction of students (~1/3) don't make it through the first year.

For a MSc, it should not matter, the universities have some criteria for applications and those do not change twice per year.

I don't know about France.

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3
    Thanks mfb for your insight. I have a masters in engineering but now really want to move into particle physics. I'll be applying for the MSc, as well as a few places for the BSc (just as a backup). I want to apply for the winter semester this year, but a friend said that the number of applicants for the summer term tends to be lesser, increasing the chances of being accepted. The summer semester deadlines are on Jan. 15th, like 5 days from today. So, I was kinda contemplating if should apply considering that I'm a non-EU citizen - got the visa process to take care of, in time.

5. Jan 10, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is certainly true for BSc, I'm not sure if it still matters for a MSc because the variable length of the BSc smears that out. In addition, the larger number of applicants means they accept more as well.

No idea about visas, sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook