Applying to universities abroad with CGPA 6.2/10

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Lakshmi Deepak
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Universities
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Lakshmi Deepak
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm studying physics (will be receiving a master's degree by the end of my study) in a top tier institute in India. I'm considering applying to universities abroad for Ph. D programs. Given my GPA and considering the fact that I'll be extending for another year, Is it advisable to try for positions abroad? As of now I'm into condensed natter physics. If it is feasible to try for positions abroad, at what level (in terms of world rankings perhaps) can I hope to apply and expect acceptances?

I'm separately considering working with a professor here after my master's study (for another year) as a project associate. Will my chances improve ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lakshmi Deepak said:
I'm studying physics (will be receiving a master's degree by the end of my study) in a top tier institute in India. I'm considering applying to universities abroad for Ph. D programs. Given my GPA and considering the fact that I'll be extending for another year, Is it advisable to try for positions abroad? As of now I'm into condensed natter physics. If it is feasible to try for positions abroad, at what level (in terms of world rankings perhaps) can I hope to apply and expect acceptances?

I'm separately considering working with a professor here after my master's study (for another year) as a project associate. Will my chances improve ?
Does CGPA stand for combined GPA or something else? A grade point average of 6.2 on a scale of 10 translates to 2.48 on a 0 to 4 scale that is used by many US colleges. This is a pretty weak GPA to try to compete for limited slots in PhD programs abroad.
 
Mark44 said:
A grade point average of 6.2 on a scale of 10 translates to 2.48 on a 0 to 4 scale that is used by many US colleges. This is a pretty weak GPA to try to compete for limited slots in PhD programs abroad.

I don't think that this comparison can be used at face value, as, I think, average marks in other parts of the world tend to be different (often lower) than in North America. I think also that admissions committees are aware of this.

Having said this, I have no idea what average marks at "a top tier institute in India" are like.
 
Mark44 said:
Does CGPA stand for combined GPA or something else? A grade point average of 6.2 on a scale of 10 translates to 2.48 on a 0 to 4 scale that is used by many US colleges. This is a pretty weak GPA to try to compete for limited slots in PhD programs abroad.
It's Cummulative GPA. I want to know is there any chance possible to get a PhD even after working as a project associate for an year.
 
Lakshmi Deepak said:
It's Cummulative GPA. I want to know is there any chance possible to get a PhD even after working as a project associate for an year.
A PhD program you apply to would probably be more interested in your GPA for classes in your degree field, although they would also look at the cumulative GPA.