1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying undergraduate physics programs

1. Mar 22, 2009 #1
    Hi, I'm applying undergraduate physics programs, and I want to ask your opinion on where you would go among the schools I'm considering to apply. The program (physics) is obviously my priority concern. Other than that, maybe the area; beautiful town, campus, and so on (I really wanted to apply some UC schools because they're good schools also the area is beautiful, I heard. But the deadlines are already passed :cry:..)

U Minnesota
    RPI
    U Rochester
    Colorado School of Mines

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2
    Okay, maybe I should ask "If you apply two of them, which would those be?"
    I've already applied 5 schools (UPenn, Cornell, MIT, UChicago, UIUC) but I realized maybe I should apply some "safe" schools. However, most of the schools have March deadlines. I'm going to apply UWashington, Maryland, and NWU.
    So I was wondering which 2 of the 5 schools would you apply? Anyone? please??

4. Mar 23, 2009 #3
    If you are going to be applying to U of Maryland, I would recommend that you apply to University of Maryland, Baltimore County(UMBC) as well. They are much cheaper than U of Maryland and they are one of the up-and-coming Universities in the nation. Also, they are #2 in the nation for NASA funding...

5. Mar 23, 2009 #4
    Here is where I found the info that claims they are #2 for NASA funding..http://www.umbc.edu/research/About/index.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Mar 23, 2009 #5
    I agree with se7en. UMBC is a solid school. I prefer Maryland, College Park, but I go there, so I may be somewhat biased. Also, where do you live? U. of Maryland is pretty expensive to out-of-state students.

7. Mar 23, 2009 #6
    Thanks se7en and SpiffyKavu!
    I live in Boston, MA. Right the economy is bad so tuition really matters. But the schools I've already applied are also really expensive ones. I feel sorry to my parents for that reason. All I can do is studying hard, trying to get out as much as I can.

Quick question for SpiffyKavu.
    Is weather nice over there in College Park? I'm really tired of Boston's cold weather. Is it sunny?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook