Which is more challenging -- Graduate vs Undergraduate Physics Courses

• Courses
  • Thread starter Josh0768
  • Start date
When first encountering them, did you find your undergraduate physics courses or your graduate physics courses to be more conceptually and technically challenging?

Answers and Replies

I found my grad physics courses to be way more challenging, for one major reason. As an undergrad, if you struggle with a particular concept, there are plenty of other resources. If you struggle in Griffiths quantum, maybe you can find a different explanation (that might "click" more) in Sakurai, or by looking at Khan Academy, posting for homework help on this forum, etc. Once your education gets more "specialized", those resources become few and far between.

Likes Josh0768 and Choppy
I think the content of the graduate courses was more difficult, but I was a better student in grad school than I had been as an undergrad. I was older, more mature/serious about studying; plus I had four years of undergrad experience in "learning how to study," if that makes sense.

Likes vela
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Undergrad courses were harder for me, because I was still struggling with the math.

Likes clope023
Undergrad courses were harder for me, because I was still struggling with the math.
Same, senior ugrad and grad courses have so far been easier because I'm not struggling with learning concepts I'm just instead learning on how to apply them.