Approaching physics mathematically-help

• Thread starter moephysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, this person seems to be struggling with using their mathematical skills to solve problems intuitively. They suggest practicing and being systematic, but also suggest that if you can't solve a problem within the first hour, you should skip it.
moephysics
Hey I've been studying physics for a while and recently I am taking AP physics and I am good at tackling physics intuitively, however when it comes to describing problems in equations I seem sometimes to have some trouble even although my mathematical skills are pretty good. I just need some advice on how to get better at using my mathematical skills throughout physics without having a problem doing so (and also tell me if there are any books that would help me tackle this problem).That is all and thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tackling problems intuitively can mean that you're not taking the time to fully reason out the answer. If you read a problem, come up with an answer that seems obvious and more often than not you're consistent with the correct answer - this doesn't mean you're doing a complete job of analysing the problem and will pave the way for errors down the road.

Of course, you're asking how to correct this. And the answer is simple: practice. Even for problems that seem to have an intuitive answer, start by writing everything out.

Welcome to the party. This is the whole point of the college education process. It takes a lot of practice to become good at what you're talking about. I don't really have any specific suggestions, just keeping working problems and you'll improve with time. It gets easier.

One thing you can do is try to be systematic. Start out writing your assumptions, draw a picture of the problem, and then maybe write some basic equations. If you become stuck, it is often helpful to try and think through the problem and write out a paragraph describing what is going on. If you still can't find a solution, you might have to try and be more clever or think of an alternative method. If you can't solve a problem in the first hour, then skip it, and go back to it later. That's all I can really say.

I am somewhat opposite to you, I find it easy to incorporate the math. Only difference is, my teacher says i should forget about the math and think more intuitively. I think this is a bad idea though so I will only take it for what its worth.

1. How can I improve my mathematical skills for physics?

To improve your mathematical skills for physics, one of the most important things you can do is practice. Work through as many problems as you can, even if you find them difficult. Additionally, try to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind the equations and formulas. You can also seek help from tutors or join study groups to get additional support.

2. What are some common mathematical techniques used in physics?

Some common mathematical techniques used in physics include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and vector calculus. These techniques are used to solve complex physical problems and understand the behavior of physical systems.

3. How can I apply mathematical concepts to real-world physics problems?

To apply mathematical concepts to real-world physics problems, you must first understand the physical principles and laws involved. Then, you can use mathematical equations and formulas to model and solve the problem. It is important to always check if your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. Can I use a calculator for physics problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator for physics problems. In fact, it is often necessary to use a calculator for complex calculations in physics. However, it is important to know when it is appropriate to use a calculator and when it is better to solve the problem by hand. Some exams may also have restrictions on the use of calculators.

5. How important is math in understanding physics?

Math is crucial in understanding physics because it provides a language and framework for describing and analyzing the physical world. Without math, it would be difficult to express and solve complex physical problems and make predictions about how systems will behave. It is important to have a strong foundation in math to fully grasp the concepts and principles of physics.