1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approaching vehicles with acceleration

1. May 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two vehicles, A and B, are approaching each other. Vehicle A has a constant velocity of ##v_A##. Vehicle B has a constant acceleration ##a## with an initial velocity of ##v_B##. The starting distance at ##t=0## between them is ##D##.

Is there a way to solve at what time ##t## they'd meet?

2. Relevant equations

##D = v_At + v_Bt + \frac{1}{2} \cdot a \cdot t^2##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I deduced the equation above but I can't find a way to solve for t. Simplifying gives:

##\frac{D}{t} = v_A + v_B + \frac{1}{2} \cdot a \cdot t##

Is there a way to solve for t without plotting these two equations?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is just a quadratic equation in ##t##, so is easily solved using the standard quadratic-solution formulas.

4. May 15, 2017 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your equation looks very like a quadratic in ##t## to me!

5. May 15, 2017 #4
    Ah, for some reason I thought this wasn't possible because there are two parameters with either a ##t## or a ##\frac{1}{t}## in it. But after looking at it I noticed it could be written as:

##\frac{1}{2} \cdot at^2 + (v_A + v_B)t - D = 0##

And then use the abc-formula in which ##a=\frac{1}{2}\cdot a## and ##b=(v_A + v_B)## and ##c = D##. Is this correct?

6. May 15, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You already had the quadratic in section 2 of your original post.

I guess you mean ##c = -D##?

You may like to think what difference it makes if vehicle A is at rest and vehicle B is initially moving at the combined speed ##v_a + v_b##.

7. May 15, 2017 #6
    Apologies, I did mean ##c = -D##. I take it you mean that I could just put the equation in section 2 in parentheses? My initial target was to use the abc-formula to only give the positive solution of ##t##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted