Approaching vehicles with acceleration

In summary: I think I can manage that now.As for the difference if vehicle A is at rest, I think it would only change the initial velocity of vehicle B to ##v_B + v_A##, but the final result for the time at which they meet would be the same.
JohnnyGui

Homework Statement

Two vehicles, A and B, are approaching each other. Vehicle A has a constant velocity of ##v_A##. Vehicle B has a constant acceleration ##a## with an initial velocity of ##v_B##. The starting distance at ##t=0## between them is ##D##.

Is there a way to solve at what time ##t## they'd meet?

Homework Equations

##D = v_At + v_Bt + \frac{1}{2} \cdot a \cdot t^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

I deduced the equation above but I can't find a way to solve for t. Simplifying gives:

##\frac{D}{t} = v_A + v_B + \frac{1}{2} \cdot a \cdot t##

Is there a way to solve for t without plotting these two equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnnyGui said:

Homework Statement

Two vehicles, A and B, are approaching each other. Vehicle A has a constant velocity of ##v_A##. Vehicle B has a constant acceleration ##a## with an initial velocity of ##v_B##. The starting distance at ##t=0## between them is ##D##.

Is there a way to solve at what time ##t## they'd meet?

Homework Equations

##D = v_At + v_Bt + \frac{1}{2} \cdot a \cdot t^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

I deduced the equation above but I can't find a way to solve for t. Simplifying gives:

##\frac{D}{t} = v_A + v_B + \frac{1}{2} \cdot a \cdot t##

Is there a way to solve for t without plotting these two equations?

It is just a quadratic equation in ##t##, so is easily solved using the standard quadratic-solution formulas.

Your equation looks very like a quadratic in ##t## to me!

PeroK said:
Your equation looks very like a quadratic in ttt to me!

Ray Vickson said:
It is just a quadratic equation in ttt, so is easily solved using the standard quadratic-solution formulas.

Ah, for some reason I thought this wasn't possible because there are two parameters with either a ##t## or a ##\frac{1}{t}## in it. But after looking at it I noticed it could be written as:

##\frac{1}{2} \cdot at^2 + (v_A + v_B)t - D = 0##

And then use the abc-formula in which ##a=\frac{1}{2}\cdot a## and ##b=(v_A + v_B)## and ##c = D##. Is this correct?

JohnnyGui said:
Ah, for some reason I thought this wasn't possible because there are two parameters with either a ##t## or a ##\frac{1}{t}## in it. But after looking at it I noticed it could be written as:

##\frac{1}{2} \cdot at^2 + (v_A + v_B)t - D = 0##

And then use the abc-formula in which ##a=\frac{1}{2}\cdot a## and ##b=(v_A + v_B)## and ##c = D##. Is this correct?

You already had the quadratic in section 2 of your original post.

I guess you mean ##c = -D##?

You may like to think what difference it makes if vehicle A is at rest and vehicle B is initially moving at the combined speed ##v_a + v_b##.

PeroK said:
You already had the quadratic in section 2 of your original post.

I guess you mean ##c = -D##?

You may like to think what difference it makes if vehicle A is at rest and vehicle B is initially moving at the combined speed ##v_a + v_b##.
Apologies, I did mean ##c = -D##. I take it you mean that I could just put the equation in section 2 in parentheses? My initial target was to use the abc-formula to only give the positive solution of ##t##.

What is acceleration and how is it related to approaching vehicles?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is related to approaching vehicles because as a vehicle accelerates, its speed increases and it gets closer to other objects on the road.

Why is it important to consider acceleration when approaching vehicles?

It is important to consider acceleration when approaching vehicles because it affects the distance and time needed to stop or avoid a collision. The higher the acceleration, the shorter the stopping distance will be.

How can acceleration be measured when approaching vehicles?

Acceleration can be measured using a variety of methods such as radar guns, speedometers, and GPS devices. These tools can measure the change in speed over a specific time interval, giving an accurate measurement of acceleration.

What factors can affect the acceleration of approaching vehicles?

Several factors can affect the acceleration of approaching vehicles, including the vehicle's horsepower, weight, and road conditions. Other factors such as weather, tire traction, and driver behavior can also influence acceleration.

What are some safety precautions to take when approaching vehicles with acceleration?

When approaching vehicles with acceleration, it is essential to maintain a safe following distance, anticipate changes in speed, and be aware of your surroundings. It is also crucial to follow all traffic laws and avoid distractions while driving.