Approximate solution to DE - confused

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a good approximation for a large and positive x to the solution of the given equation by removing the first derivative term. The suggested solution is to throw away the x^(1/2)y term, leaving an easily solvable homogeneous Cauchy-Euler DE. However, the logic behind this hint is questioned and the conversation concludes with running the DEs numerically and manually solving the approximate equation using a change of independent variable.
outhsakotad

Homework Statement

This is a problem from an old exam I am reviewing for practice.

Find a good approximation, for x large and positive to the solution of the following equation:

y''-(3/x)y'+(15/(4x^2)+x^(1/2))y=0

Hint: remove first derivative term

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure first of all that I understand the logic behind the hint. After taking this suggestion, my first inclination is to throw away the 15/4x^2 term, leaving y''+sqrt(x)y=0. This is an equation that while it seems simple, I'm ashamed to say I can't figure out how to solve.

Also, according to the problem's solution, you actually throw away just the x^(1/2)y term. This leaves an easily solvable homogeneous Cauchy-Euler DE. But the logic doesn't seem to make sense to me. The solution says that x^(1/2)y and (3/x)y' are negligible at large x. However, isn't the 15/4x^2 term much smaller than these terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it help to set t=1/x, then look for a small-t approximation? I haven't tried it and have no access to a computer at the moment.

RGV

Tell you what, how might you confirm your suspicions? I mean what would you do to figure this out on your own? What about just running the DEs and checking for yourself? How about start with x0=10 000 say for y(x0)=1 and y'(x0)=1. That's large enought huh? Now, run them numerically, first the original DE, then run versions of the DE without one or more of the other terms and then see how well the simplified versions approximate the original equation. Here's what I would do in Mathematica. At least at x=10,000, it's pretty convincing to me what's important and not important to leave in for large x.

Code:
x0 = 10000; 
y0 = 1; 
y1 = 1; 

mysol = NDSolve[{Derivative[2][y][x] - (3/x)*Derivative[1][y][x] + (15/(4*x^2) + Sqrt[x])*y[x] == 0, y[x0] == y0, 
    Derivative[1][y][x0] == y1}, y, {x, x0, x0 + 10}]

p1 = Plot[y[x] /. mysol, {x, x0, x0 + 10}]

mysol2 = NDSolve[{Derivative[2][y][x] - (3/x)*Derivative[1][y][x] + (15/(4*x^2))*y[x] == 0, y[x0] == y0, 
    Derivative[1][y][x0] == y1}, y, {x, x0, x0 + 10}]

p2 = Plot[y[x] /. mysol2, {x, x0, x0 + 10}]

mysol3 = NDSolve[{Derivative[2][y][x] + Sqrt[x]*y[x] == 0, y[x0] == y0, Derivative[1][y][x0] == y1}, y, 
   {x, x0, x0 + 10}]

p3 = Plot[y[x] /. mysol3, {x, x0, x0 + 10}]

Show[{p1, p3}]

I'm not sure I follow. I'll keep looking, but I'm somewhat new to Mathematica.

Ah, so I am correct, and it is a mistake in the solution (which was actually written by a student) ? I ran it in mathematica, and it appears to be so. I should be able to solve my approximate equation by hand but can't think of how. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for taking time to look at this.

I'm not entirely sure about all this but seems to me based on the numerical results that for large x, we can neglect the terms with x in the denominator and we get as a good approximation:

[tex]y''+\sqrt{x}y=0[/tex]

. . . well that ain't easy neither but I think we can solve it manually by making a change of independent variable by letting [itex]u=x^{5/4}[/itex]. I ran through this substitution quick and got it close to the solution reported by Mathematica in terms of Bessel functions. I'm basing this substitution on the results reported by Mathematica for the code:

DSolve[y''[x]+x^(1/n) y[x]==0,y,x]

1. What is an approximate solution to a differential equation?

An approximate solution to a differential equation is an estimation of the true solution that is close enough for practical purposes. It is not an exact solution, but it can provide valuable insights and information about the behavior of the system.

2. When is it necessary to use an approximate solution to a differential equation?

An approximate solution to a differential equation is often necessary when the equation is too complex to solve exactly, or when the exact solution is not known. It is also useful when dealing with real-world systems that involve uncertainties or approximations.

3. How is an approximate solution to a differential equation obtained?

An approximate solution to a differential equation can be obtained through various methods, such as numerical techniques, series expansions, or perturbation methods. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler, more manageable parts and using iterative calculations to find an approximation of the solution.

4. How accurate is an approximate solution to a differential equation?

The accuracy of an approximate solution to a differential equation depends on the method used and the level of approximation desired. In general, the accuracy increases as the number of iterations or terms in the series expansion increases. However, it is important to note that an approximate solution will never be as accurate as an exact solution.

5. What are the limitations of using an approximate solution to a differential equation?

Using an approximate solution to a differential equation has several limitations. The accuracy of the solution depends on the method used and the level of approximation desired. Additionally, the solution may not be valid for all values of the independent variable or may not accurately capture the behavior of the system in extreme cases. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when using an approximate solution in practical applications.