1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximate the probability of tunneling

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the harmonic scillator potential perturbed by a small cubic term, so that
    [tex]V(x) = \frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2} (x^{2} - \frac{x^{3}}{a})[/tex]
    if a is large compared to the characteristic dimension [itex](\hbar /m\omega)^{1/2}[/itex], the states will all me metastable, since there can be no lowest energy state (as [itex]x\rightarrow\infty[/itex], the energy gets arbitrarily negative). Estimate the probability of tunneling from the ground state to the region on the far right.

2. Relevant equations
    probability = [tex]|T|^{2} = e^{-2\int^{a}_{0} dx \sqrt{2m(V-E)/\hbar^{2}}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    A rough sketch of what the potential should look like when graphed is attached. However, I cut out the [itex]\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}[/itex] part at the front (is that bad?) but anyway that is what [itex]x^{2}-x^{3}/a[/itex] looks like. it crosses the x-axis at x=0 and x=a, and the maximum on the right side is at (2/3)a.

I have tried several things. Just substituting the potential given in the problem and I'm using E = (1/2)*h-bar*omega as the energy (ground state of the harmonic oscillator), into the equation but I can't solve the integral, even an online automatic integrator doesn't figure it out.
    I have also tried equating the potential to the energy using the E = (1/2)*h-bar*omega and setting that equal to the potential and solving for omega. even though I'm not sure I am allowed to do this, it simplifies things a little bit, but the integral still seems impossible to solve.
    I have also tried to approximate the curve on the right side by a negative parabola, perhaps it would work but I am having some trouble finding a parabola that fits close enough.

Any help would be very appreciated, or a point in the right direction.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That doesn't look right....Shouldn't the probability that a particle tunnels over the barrier into the far right be given by

[tex]T=\int_{\frac{2a}{3}}^{\infty} |\psi(x)|^2 dx[/tex]

?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook