Approximating Change in x for y = 6 to y = 6.01 in y = 2 + (8/x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter songoku
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Change Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
songoku
Messages
2,521
Reaction score
395

Homework Statement


Given that [tex]y=2+\frac{8}{x}[/tex]. Find the approximate change in x which will cause y to increase from 6 to 6.01


Homework Equations


[tex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}=\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I did it with two ways :

1.
when y = 6 --> x = 2
when y = 6.01 --> [tex]x=\frac{800}{401}[/tex]

approximate change in x = [tex]\frac{800}{401}-2 = -\frac{2}{401}[/tex]


2.
[tex]\delta y = 0.01[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}=\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}=\frac{-8}{x^2}~ \text{where x = 2}[/tex]

[tex]\delta x = -\frac{1}{200}[/tex]


My question is : Can I use the first method? I don't think I can but I don't know the reason why I may not use it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your first method assumes 'y' changed linearly with 'x'. But it's been a long time since I've some small changes. So it is always best to use the second method.


Also it is δy/δx ≈ dy/dx, it is only equal when you take the limit δx→0
 
Your first method gives you the EXACT value of the change. The second method gives you the APPROXIMATE value of the change. 1/200=0.005. 2/401 is about 0.00499. They are nearly equal, which is what you expect.
 
Hi rock.freak667 and Dick

Thanks a lot for you both ! :smile: