1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximating magnetic field as the field of magnetic dipole

1. Nov 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A square wire loop of size 2a by 2a lies in the x- y plane with its center at the origin and sides parallel to the x and y axes. A counterclockwise current I runs around the loop.
    (a) Find the magnetic field on the z axis. [Answer: Bz = 2μ0Ia2/[(a2 + z2)(2a2 + z2)0.5]]
    (b) Show that for z/a >> 1 the field becomes that of a magnetic dipole, and find the magnetic moment.

2. Relevant equations
    Field of a magnetic dipole:
    B=(μ0/4πr3)*[3(m⋅r')r'-m]

where r is the distance to the field point, m is the magnetic moment, and r' is a unit vector pointing towards the field point

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have already done part a and got the correct expression for the magnetic field. For part b, I said that since z/a >> 1 the term (a2+z2) could be approximated as z2 and the term (2a2+z2) could be approximated by z2. This gives me z3 in the denominator which is good since it matches the equation for the field of a magnetic dipole but I can't get the rest of the terms to match. Can someone help me? I think I've either made the wrong assumption or I'm not properly evaluating the term in the square brackets in the equation for field of a magnetic dipole.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2015 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For a dipole located at the origin with its axis along z, what would be the vector [itex] \vec{m} [/itex]? For a point on the z axis, what would be the unit vector [itex] \vec{r}' [/itex] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted