Approximating magnetic field as the field of magnetic dipole

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
phys-student
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A square wire loop of size 2a by 2a lies in the x- y plane with its center at the origin and sides parallel to the x and y axes. A counterclockwise current I runs around the loop.
(a) Find the magnetic field on the z axis. [Answer: Bz = 2μ0Ia2/[(a2 + z2)(2a2 + z2)0.5]]
(b) Show that for z/a >> 1 the field becomes that of a magnetic dipole, and find the magnetic moment.

Homework Equations


Field of a magnetic dipole:
B=(μ0/4πr3)*[3(m⋅r')r'-m]

where r is the distance to the field point, m is the magnetic moment, and r' is a unit vector pointing towards the field point

The Attempt at a Solution


I have already done part a and got the correct expression for the magnetic field. For part b, I said that since z/a >> 1 the term (a2+z2) could be approximated as z2 and the term (2a2+z2) could be approximated by z2. This gives me z3 in the denominator which is good since it matches the equation for the field of a magnetic dipole but I can't get the rest of the terms to match. Can someone help me? I think I've either made the wrong assumption or I'm not properly evaluating the term in the square brackets in the equation for field of a magnetic dipole.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
phys-student said:

Homework Statement


A square wire loop of size 2a by 2a lies in the x- y plane with its center at the origin and sides parallel to the x and y axes. A counterclockwise current I runs around the loop.
(a) Find the magnetic field on the z axis. [Answer: Bz = 2μ0Ia2/[(a2 + z2)(2a2 + z2)0.5]]
(b) Show that for z/a >> 1 the field becomes that of a magnetic dipole, and find the magnetic moment.

Homework Equations


Field of a magnetic dipole:
B=(μ0/4πr3)*[3(m⋅r')r'-m]

where r is the distance to the field point, m is the magnetic moment, and r' is a unit vector pointing towards the field point

The Attempt at a Solution


I have already done part a and got the correct expression for the magnetic field. For part b, I said that since z/a >> 1 the term (a2+z2) could be approximated as z2 and the term (2a2+z2) could be approximated by z2. This gives me z3 in the denominator which is good since it matches the equation for the field of a magnetic dipole but I can't get the rest of the terms to match. Can someone help me? I think I've either made the wrong assumption or I'm not properly evaluating the term in the square brackets in the equation for field of a magnetic dipole.
For a dipole located at the origin with its axis along z, what would be the vector [itex]\vec{m}[/itex]? For a point on the z axis, what would be the unit vector [itex]\vec{r}'[/itex] ?