1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximating the gamma function near x=-3

1. Aug 3, 2013 #1
    I've just started self studying James Nearing's "Mathematical Tools for Physicists" (available at http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/mathematical_methods-three.pdf), and I'm having trouble with problem 1.16 about the gamma function, defined for positive x as [tex]\Gamma(x)= \int_0^\infty t^{x-1}e^{-t}\,dt.[/tex]

The problem asks
    The problem also suggests to make use of the identity [itex]x\Gamma(x)= \Gamma(x+1)[/itex]. Earlier in the text he mentions how, since [itex]\Gamma(1)=0!=1[/itex], using the identity above we can make the approximation for x near 0: [itex]\Gamma(x)≈\frac{\Gamma(1)}{x}=\frac{1}{x}[/itex].

I've tried to replicate this technique by approximating [itex]\Gamma(x)[/itex] near -1 as [itex]\Gamma(x)=\frac{\Gamma(x+1)}{x}≈\frac{1/(x+1)}{x}=\frac{1}{x(x+1)}.[/itex] Continuing in this manner leads to [itex]\Gamma(x)≈1/(x(x+1)(x+2)(x+3))[/itex] for x near -3, which doesn't agree with his answer. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You are on the right track, and nearly done:
    Close to -3, what is x(x+1)(x+2) approximately?

4. Aug 3, 2013 #3
    It agrees !

Attached Files:

5. Aug 3, 2013 #4
    haha wow can't believe I didn't notice that. thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook