1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximation of a hyperbolic function

1. May 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hy guys I am having an issue with approximating this first question, which I have shown below.

upload_2017-5-5_17-11-10.png

Now my problem is not so much solving it but I have been thinking that if given the same question without knowing that it approximates to so for example the question I am thinking of is: approximate the function: ##\frac{cosh x}{sinh x}-1##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}##
    ##\frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{2}##

3. The attempt at a solution

So alls I have at the moment is ## \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{2e^{-2x}}{1-2e^{-2x}}##
    and this is where I get stuck how would I use limits to show the it approximates to what they have given. I was thinking of just taking the limit of the bottom line, and this would give the ans but I am not 100% sure that you can actually do that, another way I was thinking is showing what the end of the function dose, but then I would have to dived through and I am not sure that the function can be divided. Could someone please give me some advice much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2017 #2
    I think you probably use @Taylor_1989 series and inequalities.

4. May 5, 2017 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's an error in the denominator of

##\displaystyle\frac{2e^{-2x}}{1-2e^{-2x}}##

5. May 5, 2017 #4

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So we have 2*cosh(x) = [e^x + e^-x] and 2*sinh(x) = [e^x - e^-x]. You would agree that cosh(x) / sinh(x) is equal to (2*cosh) / (2*sinh). Now replace the 1 with (2*sinh) / (2*sinh), so you now have : [e^x + e^-x - (e^x - e^-x)] / [e^x - e^-x]. With a little rearranging, you may be able to simplify it.

6. May 5, 2017 #5

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or actually with what you have, the denominator of 1 - 2*e^(-2x) approaches 1 as x gets large. So you can say it is equal to 2*e^(-2x) in the numerator, and approximately 1 in the denominator, so it approaches 2*e^(-2x)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted