Approximation of a hyperbolic function

In summary, a hyperbolic function is a mathematical function used to describe the relationship between two variables in a hyperbola. It can be approximated using Taylor series expansion or numerical methods such as Euler or Runge-Kutta. This is important in various fields including engineering, physics, and economics. However, there are limitations to the accuracy of the approximation, which can be improved by increasing the number of terms in the series or using more advanced numerical methods.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hy guys I am having an issue with approximating this first question, which I have shown below.

upload_2017-5-5_17-11-10.png

Now my problem is not so much solving it but I have been thinking that if given the same question without knowing that it approximates to so for example the question I am thinking of is: approximate the function: ##\frac{cosh x}{sinh x}-1##.

Homework Equations

##\frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}##
##\frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So alls I have at the moment is ## \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{2e^{-2x}}{1-2e^{-2x}}##
and this is where I get stuck how would I use limits to show the it approximates to what they have given. I was thinking of just taking the limit of the bottom line, and this would give the ans but I am not 100% sure that you can actually do that, another way I was thinking is showing what the end of the function dose, but then I would have to dived through and I am not sure that the function can be divided. Could someone please give me some advice much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you probably use @Taylor_1989 series and inequalities.

Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

Hy guys I am having an issue with approximating this first question, which I have shown below.

View attachment 198780

Now my problem is not so much solving it but I have been thinking that if given the same question without knowing that it approximates to so for example the question I am thinking of is: approximate the function: ##\frac{cosh x}{sinh x}-1##.

Homework Equations

##\frac{e^x+e^-x}{2}##
##\frac{e^x-e^-x}{2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So alls I have at the moment is ## \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{2e^{-2x}}{1-2e^{-2x}}##
and this is where I get stuck how would I use limits to show the it approximates to what they have given. I was thinking of just taking the limit of the bottom line, and this would give the ans but I am not 100% sure that you can actually do that, another way I was thinking is showing what the end of the function dose, but then I would have to dived through and I am not sure that the function can be divided. Could someone please give me some advice much appreciated.
There's an error in the denominator of

##\displaystyle\frac{2e^{-2x}}{1-2e^{-2x}}##

So we have 2*cosh(x) = [e^x + e^-x] and 2*sinh(x) = [e^x - e^-x]. You would agree that cosh(x) / sinh(x) is equal to (2*cosh) / (2*sinh). Now replace the 1 with (2*sinh) / (2*sinh), so you now have : [e^x + e^-x - (e^x - e^-x)] / [e^x - e^-x]. With a little rearranging, you may be able to simplify it.

scottdave said:
So we have 2*cosh(x) = [e^x + e^-x] and 2*sinh(x) = [e^x - e^-x]. You would agree that cosh(x) / sinh(x) is equal to (2*cosh) / (2*sinh). Now replace the 1 with (2*sinh) / (2*sinh), so you now have : [e^x + e^-x - (e^x - e^-x)] / [e^x - e^-x]. With a little rearranging, you may be able to simplify it.

Or actually with what you have, the denominator of 1 - 2*e^(-2x) approaches 1 as x gets large. So you can say it is equal to 2*e^(-2x) in the numerator, and approximately 1 in the denominator, so it approaches 2*e^(-2x)

1. What is a hyperbolic function?

A hyperbolic function is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between two variables in a hyperbola. It is similar to a trigonometric function, but is used for calculating the properties of a hyperbola rather than a circle.

2. How is a hyperbolic function approximated?

A hyperbolic function can be approximated using Taylor series expansion or through numerical methods such as the Euler or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods use a series of calculations to approximate the value of the function at a given point.

3. What are the applications of approximating hyperbolic functions?

Approximating hyperbolic functions is important in a variety of fields including engineering, physics, and economics. It is used in the design and analysis of complex systems, such as electrical circuits, and in modeling natural phenomena, such as population growth.

4. Are there any limitations to approximating hyperbolic functions?

Yes, there are limitations to approximating hyperbolic functions. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series and the step size used in numerical methods. Additionally, these methods may not work for all types of hyperbolic functions.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my approximation of a hyperbolic function?

To improve the accuracy of an approximation, you can increase the number of terms used in the series or decrease the step size in numerical methods. You can also use more advanced numerical methods, such as the fourth-order Runge-Kutta method, which provides a more accurate approximation with fewer calculations.