AQA AS Maths question from '09 paper

• Thread starter Physssics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aqa Paper
In summary, the conversation discusses a question related to a quadratic equation and its real roots. The question is to show that k² - 3k - 40 ≤ 0, and the conversation provides steps to solve it by substituting the values of a and c. The conversation also mentions the use of b^2-4ac to determine if an equation has real roots. The final answer is k² - 3k - 40 ≤ 0.
Physssics
Hi,
I have my AS Maths exam on Monday and so I was looking at some previous papers and I couldn't do this question:

The quadratic equation (k+1)x² + 12x + (k-4) = 0 has real roots
(a) Show that k² - 3k - 40 ≤ 0

I don't even understand where to start so I was hoping you could help me.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think it may be, that as it has real roots, it must mean that b^2-4ac ≤ 0
so just substitute your values of a b and c into the formula to get k² - 3k - 40

are you sure its -40 and not -140 ?
cause then it would work i think!

oh no sorry, i forgot to multiply it out, silly me, it would work with 40.
and also 0 ≤ b^2-4ac if it has real roots. sorry I'm a bit foggy on this stuff!

Can I ask how how you got the values for a and c?
a=
b= 12
c=
Because I don't understand why the x is there?

By the way -- thanks for the response, I really really appreciate it!

well you don't have any integer values for the a and c
so instead, you just substitue in the constants before the x^2 for a, and the last value for c

so a would simply be k+1
and c would be k-4

do you remember how to find if an equation has real roots ? that is where the b^2-4ac comes in, you could google it if you don't. If the answer is less than zero it has no real roots, equal to zero it has one real root etc. But yours is telling you it has real roots. plural. so therefore your answer to b^2-4ac is, it must be bigger than 0. Your answer will include k once you multiply it out, and you should get the equation you stated before
k² - 3k - 40 ≤ 0

Dollydaggerxo said:
well you don't have any integer values for the a and c
so instead, you just substitue in the constants before the x^2 for a, and the last value for c

so a would simply be k+1
and c would be k-4

do you remember how to find if an equation has real roots ? that is where the b^2-4ac comes in, you could google it if you don't. If the answer is less than zero it has no real roots, equal to zero it has one real root etc. But yours is telling you it has real roots. plural. so therefore your answer to b^2-4ac is, it must be bigger than 0. Your answer will include k once you multiply it out, and you should get the equation you stated before
k² - 3k - 40 ≤ 0

Yeah, I understand now. Thanks alot, I really appreciate it! :smile:

1. What is the format of the AQA AS Maths question from the '09 paper?

The AQA AS Maths question from the '09 paper consists of 3 sections: Pure Mathematics, Mechanics, and Probability & Statistics. Each section contains multiple choice and free response questions.

2. How many marks is the AQA AS Maths question from the '09 paper worth?

The AQA AS Maths question from the '09 paper is worth a total of 100 marks, with 25 marks for Pure Mathematics, 25 marks for Mechanics, and 50 marks for Probability & Statistics.

3. Can calculators be used for the AQA AS Maths question from the '09 paper?

Yes, calculators are allowed to be used for the AQA AS Maths question from the '09 paper. However, they must be non-programmable and not have any stored formulas or data.

4. Is the AQA AS Maths question from the '09 paper timed?

Yes, the AQA AS Maths question from the '09 paper has a time limit of 2 hours and 30 minutes. It is recommended to allocate approximately 50 minutes for Pure Mathematics, 50 minutes for Mechanics, and 90 minutes for Probability & Statistics.

5. What topics are covered in the AQA AS Maths question from the '09 paper?

The AQA AS Maths question from the '09 paper covers a range of topics including algebra, trigonometry, calculus, vectors, kinematics, forces, probability, and statistics. It is important to review all topics thoroughly in order to be prepared for the exam.