Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archeologists dreams, massive discoveries in Egypt

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    Infrared satellite survey reveals 17 lost pyramids

Work for years to come.

Maybe we can change jobs.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2012 #2

Dotini

Gold Member

4. Aug 14, 2012 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

5. Aug 15, 2012 #4
    Are these complete pyramids that are buried?

6. Aug 15, 2012 #5
    It doesn't say so but that's most likely. In my profession we used to use IR airborne imagery to find buried objects, due to different specific heat and heating/cooling ratios, due to inhomogenities in the soil.

7. Aug 15, 2012 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

They're most likely mastabas.

8. Aug 15, 2012 #7

Dotini

Gold Member

Here and there, I've seen images of extremely weathered mastabas, or very truncated step-pyramids, appearing out of those drifting sands of Egypt. Sadly, many will have been looted. But hopefully some will be found that are intact!

There's no doubt the pyramid builders were relatively quite advanced; spiritually, socially and technically.

I've maintained an off-and-on technical interest in ancient Egypt for a fairly long time. When a touring Old Kingdom exhibit came to Seattle a number of years ago, I made a point to carefully look at some incredibly beautiful small stone vases and vessels.

Among them were some made of material identified as diorite, with narrowed necks, hollowed out inside. Some had longer, fluted necks. The walls, all the way down and around the base, were almost paper-thin, nearly translucent, and perfectly symmetrical. To my trained machinists eye, they could only have been turned on a lathe (or spindle), with some kind of hardened tool bit, and a great deal of time, patience and skill. I would be very impressed to see anyone today - or since Old Kingdom times - duplicate this work, really engineering, with a copper tool.

Respectfully,
    Steve

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook