Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are 10 dimensions related to the tensor of 3d

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1
    I think I've read the the tensor in three dimensions has 10 elements in its matrix(?). Is this related to the 10 dimensions in some forms of string theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is more than one tensor over three-dimensional vector spaces. The tensor of order ##k## has ##3^k## components. None of the tensors will have ten components, as three does not divide ten. However, if there are symmetries in the type of tensor you are considering, that will reduce the number of unique components, as some will be the same as others, and you may get ten that way.
    This has nothing to do with string theory though, which seems to be about vector spaces with many more dimensions, eg eleven.

4. Dec 16, 2015 #3
    None of the tensors will have ten components, as three does not divide ten.
    I was thinking 9 plus 1 (zero).

eg eleven
    I was thinking 10 spacial plus 1 (time).

But if they aren't related they aren't. Thanks

5. Dec 18, 2015 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

Maybe you mean the metric tensor in 3+1 dimensions? The number of spacetime dimensions in string theory has a different origin :)

6. Dec 21, 2015 #5
    This is the case with the metric tensor of GR. It has 16 components but being symmetric it reduces to 10 independent components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook