Are additives and preservatives in food bad for the human body?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
timeuser84
Messages
59
Reaction score
6
Hi I would like to know the facts about this
 
Biology news on Phys.org
timeuser84 said:
Are additives and preservatives in food bad for the human body?
I think the way the question is asked is incomplete: what matters is not if they are bad, it's whether it is worse to have them or not.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara, Rive, Evo and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
I think the way the question is asked is incomplete: what matters is not if they are bad, it's whether it is worse to have them or not.
Exactly, salt is a preservative.
 
I think @russ_watters was rather thinking about the amount/variety (!) of guaranteed quality (!) food becoming available all year around (!) than preservatives which happen to have nutritional value.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
Rive said:
I think @russ_watters was rather thinking about the amount/variety (!) of guaranteed quality (!) food becoming available all year around (!) than preservatives which happen to have nutritional value.
Yes, food with preservatives has a longer, more stable/predictable shelf life - that's what "preserve" means. That makes it less likely you'll accidentally eat spoiled food. E.G., lat year's pickle incident where a jar of pickles I had went bad weeks before its expiration date:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/fermenting-pickles.948675/
Also, as you note, not all of the benefits are nutritional/health, which makes the analysis very qualitative.
 
Last edited:
Apropos of @russ_watters comment:
food poisoning (gastrointestinal infections) was in the top 10 causes of death in 1900. Taking into consideration the fact that Medical Science back then was much more art than science, so the data is not great, it still shows the effect of preserving foods safely. In 2000 food poisoning was rare, much less deadly and mostly something the CDC and USDA tracked.

Example

244619
Credit University of North Carolina
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and Rive