Is there a way to use the hydrogen in the human body?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
12 replies · 4K views
Maximum7
Messages
125
Reaction score
11
TL;DR
Exploration of a real scientific fact for speculations on the future
I recently read that there is enough hydrogen in the human body to lift 195 lbs off the ground. I know this sounds super-silly but if we ever develop nanites; could they manipulate the hydrogen and allow us to float?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Turns out all of that Hydrogen is useful where it is now. My vote would be to leave ALL of my hydrogen alone, regardless of your new Sci-Fi technology.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: duvall02, DaveC426913, russ_watters and 3 others
Hydrogen in the form of ions (AKA protons) are deeply involved in cellular energy metabolism.
Without them, you would probably die.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and topsquark
The body is ~60% water (H20), so it is probably not a good idea.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters, topsquark and Bystander
Maximum7 said:
TL;DR Summary: Exploration of a real scientific fact for speculations on the future

nanites; could they manipulate the hydrogen and allow us to float?
By what mechanism, or physical phenomenon?

Right now, the hydrogen in our bodies is in the form of water, amino acids (proteins), DNA, RNA, and a host of other organic compounds, e.g., ATP, hemoglobin, . . . .

It would be best to use hydrogen gas outside the body in order to float, as in a hydrogen blimp or balloon, perhaps with some He, or one could construct an ultralight flying suit and a propulsion system.
 
Maximum7 said:
TL;DR Summary: Exploration of a real scientific fact for speculations on the future

I recently read that there is enough hydrogen in the human body to lift 195 lbs off the ground. I know this sounds super-silly but if we ever develop nanites; could they manipulate the hydrogen and allow us to float?
A truly original conception.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
Maximum7 said:
if we ever develop nanites; could they manipulate the hydrogen and allow us to float?
Alternatively, get a set of water wings:

1667198509793.png
 
Is that what I saw at the end of Logan's Run?

Yea, sorry for that clip. The movie sucks, as I'm sure you could tell.
 
DaveE said:
Is that what I saw at the end of Logan's Run?

Yea, sorry for that clip. The movie sucks, as I'm sure you could tell.
I loved that film.
 
"Using" the hydrogen will be a destructive process - it would annihilate the body in the process of tearing all the molecules apart.

So why stop with just the hydrogen? It seems that the nutritional value of the human body is about 125,000kcals - which is 125 million calories if you burn it.

You could lift a lot more than 195 lbs. - but only once.
 
Maximum7 said:
TL;DR Summary: Exploration of a real scientific fact for speculations on the future

I recently read that there is enough hydrogen in the human body to lift 195 lbs off the ground. I know this sounds super-silly but if we ever develop nanites; could they manipulate the hydrogen and allow us to float?
I absolutely love this question😂 but I don’t think it would be possible in our lifetime or receive enough research into, if we did find a way what would the benefits be?? And even more so what would the negative effects be?
 
PhysicsInterest said:
And even more so what would the negative effects be?
1674694286161.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara, 256bits and BillTre