Testing if air-tight ice cream scoop handles are also water-tight

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jeremyv
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 15K views
jeremyv
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I work for a company that manufactures ice cream scoops. We are trying to come up with a new way of sealing our fluid into the handles of the scoops. As we are getting new prototypes of a new sealing device, it has been given to me the task of testing these prototypes. I have been putting the prototypes in, I then fill the handles of the scoops up with air and place the scoops underwater to see if they will leak. My question is, if the new prototypes leak air, will they be watertight. How many PSI of air should it be able to hold in order for the scoop to be watertight? Any help would be very much appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are filling it with air and then putting them in water, then I would start with enough aire pressure to ensure that whatever water pressure is outside the handle doesn't collapse the handle. Since you are looking for leaks, you would need some pressure higher than the water so as to produce bubbles if there is a leak.