Are Airport X-Ray Machines Safe for Babies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Rach3
Rach3 said:
1. Babies are terrorists; thus they should not be allowed on planes.
Moonbear said:
:smile: I think 1 and 3 might be closely related. Babies are definitely bioterrorists, constantly spreading nasty germs everywhere they go!

I think somone is taking this advice seriously!

Baby is sent through X-ray machine at LAX

A woman going through security at Los Angeles International Airport put her month-old grandson into a plastic bin intended for carry-on items and slid it into an X-ray machine.

The early Saturday accident — bizarre but not unprecedented — caught airport workers by surprise, even though the security line was not busy at the time, officials said.

...The rare incident drew attention to whether officials are staffing often-busy security checkpoints enough to prevent such an accident.

..."The screeners are still reporting that they're being pushed," said Brian Sullivan, a retired Federal Aviation Administration security agent. "If a baby can get through, what the hell else can get through?"
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-baby20dec20,0,6460373.story?coll=la-home-headlines
 
Biology news on Phys.org
They're trying to blame the lack of security staff for this? Sounds more like an absent-minded grandmother! I've seen this story (or versions of it) on several sites already tonight. I'm wondering why it's being reported as such a big deal. Stupid, sure, but news?
 
They should have a sign posted; the grandmother can't really be expected to know about x-rays.