Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Backscatter X-rays for airport screening

1. Yes, security is worth public nudity

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, as long as only the screener sees the screen

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. No, I don't want anyone to see me naked

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. May 24, 2005 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Airports are thinking about installing new backscatter X-ray machines for screening passengers (airport x-ray and Air travelers bare all

These screeners see through clothes, but bounce off metal and skin, leaving the traveller essentially naked to the person monitoring the screen. Hopefully, the monitor will be in a booth or at least blocked from the view of the public.

Do you see this as a violation of your privacy or more like being seen naked by a doctor?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2005 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Violation of privacy, definitely; the situation with the doctor is not really comparable. Plus, what is the radiation dose from this? How much accumulated dosage would frequent flyers pick up in a year? What about our constitutional right to be "secure in our persons"? Doesn't that mean the government agrees not to frisk us if it will harm us? At least without prior cause?

4. May 24, 2005 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, the health risk might be my only concern. The dose is supposed to be similar to the amount received from sunshine, but the frequencies are different, meaning the effects probably aren't identical.

If they meet health standards, though, I'd find them acceptable. They're faster and more reliable than the current close inspection methods like pat downs or the hand-held wands.

5. May 24, 2005 #4
    The possible radiation dose was the only thing that bothered me about the idea. Otherwise I don't see what the big deal is. Really, just how naked is someone going to look that way?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?