Are any electrons ejected below the threshold frequency?

In summary: As our first example, Fig. 1 shows the response of the Ne atom to pulses with central photon energies of 11.6 and 7:3 eV, respectively. In these cases, at least two or three photons, respectively, need to be absorbed in order to ionize the system."
lawlieto
I've been reading about the photoelectric effect, and something got me thinking. If the frequency of light shone onto the metal is below the threshold frequency, no electrons are liberated from the surface of the metal, since electrons absorb quanta of energy, so if that light is shone for a long time, energy wouldn't be absorbed on a continuous basis etc.. but, what if 2 or 3 consecutive photons hit the same electron? Wouldn't the energies absorbed from those 2-3 photons accumulate so that an electron is liberated?

Or is there a very little probability for that to happen? (but then we could increase the intensity of light ie more photons emitted so that gives a higher probability)
Or does the energy for liberation has to be absorbed all at once? If that is the case, what happens to the photons? Are photons still absorbed if they're not energetic enough? (In that case I don't see why the energy from consecutive photons accumulated wouldn't liberate an electron)

Physics news on Phys.org
lawlieto said:
...what if 2 or 3 consecutive photons hit the same electron? Wouldn't the energies absorbed from those 2-3 photons accumulate so that an electron is liberated?... Or is there a very little probability for that to happen? (but then we could increase the intensity of light ie more photons emitted so that gives a higher probability)

There is essentially no chance for that to happen.

There is a theoretical process called spontaneous parametric up conversion, which merges 2 photons together into a more energetic one. But the requirements for that could not be met in the situation you describe for a variety of reasons. (For example, there needs to be phase matching.)

NFuller said:
It is done quite often using pulsed CO2 lasers.
http://www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9781441994905-c1.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-1163443-p174103292
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/194/3/032031/pdf
http://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.439604

Nice! I didn't see your earlier post until I did mine. The below quote is from the first reference, not really that different from the OP:

As our first example, Fig. 1 shows the response of the Ne atom to pulses with central photon energies of 11.6 and 7:3 eV, respectively. In these cases, at least two or three photons, respectively, need to be absorbed in order to ionize the system."

Likes lawlieto

1. What is the threshold frequency for electron ejection?

The threshold frequency for electron ejection is the minimum frequency of light required to eject an electron from a metal surface. It is unique for each metal and depends on its properties, such as work function and electron binding energy.

2. What happens to the ejected electrons below the threshold frequency?

Below the threshold frequency, the electrons are not ejected from the metal surface. Instead, they absorb the energy from the incident light and are excited to higher energy levels within the metal. This is known as the photoelectric effect.

3. How does the intensity of light affect electron ejection below the threshold frequency?

The intensity of light does not affect electron ejection below the threshold frequency. Only the frequency of light determines whether electrons will be ejected or not. However, increasing the intensity of light does increase the number of ejected electrons above the threshold frequency.

4. Can electrons be ejected from a metal surface without any light?

No, electrons cannot be ejected from a metal surface without any light. The energy from light is required to overcome the work function of the metal and eject the electrons. This is known as the threshold frequency.

5. Is there a maximum frequency at which electrons can be ejected from a metal surface?

Yes, there is a maximum frequency at which electrons can be ejected from a metal surface. This is known as the cutoff frequency and is determined by the work function of the metal. Electrons cannot be ejected above this frequency, regardless of the intensity of light.