Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are baby boomers into high tech products?

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    This question is for market research. I'm planning to go into retail/servicing/installing high tech residential products. I'm trying to determine which groups of people I should market my products and service to.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm kind of cynical, but, as the first generation to be raised on TV, I think a lot of baby boomers will buy anything that has a cool commercial. After all, a lot of baby boomers bought pet rocks!

As long as it's not too hard to make the device stop flashing "12:00", I think most baby boomers are very receptive to high tech devices. I know I'm very receptive to things that actually serve a useful purpose. I own a GPS receiver, cell phone (unfortunately), DVD player, a VHS player, a CD player, and even have a good calculator (only 1 vs. the more than 20 slide rules I own).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  4. Feb 26, 2008 #3

ShawnD

Science Advisor

The baby boomers I know want something that is simple and works. If you can provide something they need, works with little or no instructions, and is affordable, you'll be set. If you're trying to sell something that is an "improvement" to what they already have, you're totally screwed.

5. Feb 26, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You need to research who is already doing this in the area you wish to do business in. Most of the stores that sell high tech gear also offer in home installation and repair now through companies like Geek Squad here in the US. More important than a desire for the services/products, what would compell someone to use you instead of someone more well known? That is a mistake many people make when they go into a new business.

(I love the Nerd Herd on the tv show Chuck)

6. Feb 26, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ditto what Shawn and Evo said. The young and foolish will buy things because they're shiny and new, but the older, wiser generations will save their money to buy something they have been convinced is useful. High tech, low tech, doesn't matter, as long as they can understand the function, and that the function is better than the current stuff they own.

7. Feb 26, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Commercials have an opposite effect on me. Commercial advertising turns me off, and that's one reason I don't watch commercials or commercial TV.

I prefer useful and inexpensive. I don't like flashy stuff.

I have a cell phone (company provides otherwise I wouldn't bother), I have inexpensive DVD/VHS and CD players, and my HP-41CX still works after 25 years.

I don't have a GPS system, but I'm researching with the intent to buy one at some point. I learned to navigate by sun and stars along time ago, and I usually know where I'm going and how to get there. I use mapquest or google maps in advance.

I tend to be frugal - but I still look for quality.

8. Feb 26, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

There might be a different definition of 'Baby Boomer' in the US than there is here. In Canada, I'm too young to be one. We take it to mean the spawn of soldiers returning from WWII. I was born in '56, so I don't qualify. Does that category in the US include those whose fathers returned from Korea or Viet Nam?

9. Feb 26, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Demographers define Baby Boomers as those born between the years 1946 and 1964. But Douglas Coupland, a Canadian novelist, wrote a book about people born between 1960and 1965 (I was born in 1963 so I'm in this group). His thesis was that people born in those years are culturally completely different from other Baby Boomers. We didn't experience the 1950s, didn't experience the counter-culture changes in the 1960s. The book was called Generation X.

The term Generation X came to mean those born in the 1970s.

But I digress.

I don't get any thrill from new, shiny electronic toys. My only gadget is my cell phone, which is 5 years old, doesn't take pictures or show movies. I'll use it until it rots, and I won't be happy about buying a new one -- I'll have to learn all the buttons for functions I'll likely never use. I hate shopping :grumpy: !

10. Feb 26, 2008 #9

Astronuc

Danger, you'd be considered a baby boomer according the US Census Bureau.

Babies born in the US during the period 1946-1964 are considered baby boomers, although we're probably considered late boomers.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release...cts_for_features_special_editions/006105.html

11. Feb 26, 2008 #10
    I was born in '69 and I'll buy anything. especially if its new and I'm the first to have it. If its a ridiculous waste of money even better.

12. Feb 26, 2008 #11

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm Silent Generation and I buy some techie stuff.

Danger - the Silent Generation, Boomer, Gen X stuff is demographic lingo for what used to be known as defined cohorts and market segments. Those are groups that supposedly have common purchasing goals and so on. The idea is: if you're gen x, you'd buy a NIN dvd, but as a boomer you'd rather buy a Beatles CD.

To some extent I suppose it's useful, but mostly it seems to be used by the media, rather than the folks you would expect: marketeers. Marketeers have a much finer grain market scam, er, scheme than you would ever imagine. By their standards I am 'shotgun and pickup'.

I had a truck for years, sans shotgun, though.

The interesting thing is - my parents are also Silents as well, and they were older parents when I was born - due to the Depression - which depressed birth rates, too.

13. Feb 26, 2008 #12
    I'm steering away from marketing to baby boomers and towards middle age people

14. Feb 26, 2008 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a low blow. :rofl:

But selling high tech wheelchairs might be a good market to be in. http://www.ibotnow.com/about-ibot.html

If I can drain a jump shot over my great-grandon's pathetically outstretched hand, then I'd be a pretty happy camper.

15. Feb 26, 2008 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

GPS is great!

Except the first one I bought wasn't waterproof and didn't float. :frown:

My new one is waterproof and floats. It floats pretty fast, too, but I'm sure it's still working. :biggrin: Unless it hit a rock at the bottom the waterfall. :frown:

Yes, it's still good to carry a compass and a map (and you need the map, anyway). The GPS just makes storing key waypoints and routes to and from those locations so much easier. Plus you can mount it on your dashboard and tell when you're coming up on an intersection even on foggy days.

16. Feb 26, 2008 #15
    What do the old and foolish buy?

17. Feb 26, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When did that happen? I was born in the (very early) 70s, and I never considered myself a Gen X-er. That's what we refer to "those kids" who were born in the 80s and early 90s. They're quite a distinctly different generation from us in terms of culture. Those of us born from the mid-60s through 70s are just the kids of the baby-boomers (I always think of it more the way Danger defines it...the kids of WWII, born in the 40s). Then again, it's a bit harder to be sure in my family, because we have 30-40 year generation gaps rather than the standard 20...we seem to take a long time to settle down and have kids.

18. Feb 26, 2008 #17

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Waht do the old and foolish buy?
    Answer:
    Things to make them younger. Ever see what happens when you google a word like 'wrinkles' -

If people didn't buy stuff that doesn't really get rid of wrinkles there would be no market for the current barrage of wrinkle sort-of-remover unguents available. Even retinol and 'alpha-hydroxy' unguents.

19. Feb 26, 2008 #18

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And still crash into pedstrains and vother vehicles because you're GPS-ing instead of driv-ing.

20. Feb 26, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: A friend of mine got a rental car with GPS. I had enough trouble operating the thing as a PASSENGER, that I can't imagine using it as a driver. Far too much time staring at the screen.

If you need GPS that badly, just get a spouse...they're just as good at holding a map and saying, "Turn here!...No, not HERE! THERE! Where you missed the turn." I think a marriage license is cheaper than a GPS unit too. :approve:

21. Feb 26, 2008 #20

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boomer acceptance of technology varies wildly. My older brother (born '46) is a leading edge boomer and is hapless with technology while myself, (born '50) love it and actually like playing with all sorts of new shiny toys. Our younger brother and sister, (born '61 and '57) are both tech savvy and like the shiny stuff.

There is a huge variation which is not strictly by age, I know other leading edge boomers who indulge themselves in the the shiny toys and some later ones who don't. It may well depend on how you weathered 1970. My older brother was drafted out of college in 1968, he returned to the same physical university in 1970 but culturally it was a different world. In those 2 years it went from short hair with suits and ties in class rooms to long hair and ragged jeans. And that was the instructors!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?