jim hardy said:
indeed, it acts like combination of a variable transformer and inductor.
so its equivalent circuit includes feedback.
have you ever messed with DC generators? it's analogous to a DC differential compound machine.
i don't know the words to paint that simple picture right now
if they come i will post them.
but i think you're almost there - keep on reading and working it in your head.
old jim
old jim,
I've never had the fortunate opportunity to be able to experiment with DC generators. Maybe I should find an old car alternator in the garage? I've never heard of a differential compound machine, but I will do some searches into it.
Thanks for the encouragement. It's been 8 or so years since I've done any study with E&M, but it is all coming back like a dream.
Antiphon said:
You ballast is probably around 300mH.
The simplest ballast is just a two-wire inductor. You use it to cancel out the negative incremental impedance of gas discharge lamps so they won't blow up/burn out. You could use a resistor but they would get hot and waste energy. Capacitor ballasts have even used and are more efficient than magnetic ballasts but are less practical in size, cost and power factor.
That sounds like a more reasonable number, but I am still having some trouble with it.
THe ballast that I took apart looked as if it was one coil wrapped around about 3600 times. Are you saying that there is a second coil that completes its own circuit?
I would like to try using a resistor just for testing purposes, but I would rather like to avoid any resistors. I will do a look around for a capacitor ballast and see what kind of info I can find.
Thanks for your suggestions.
----
I've done some more tests on this thing and it's got me in a loop. I guess the current drops from the rated .27 A to 87.4 mA after start. I would think this would mean the voltage would rise from 120 to 360, but I measured it at 60 V, so I am now thinking the lamp doesn't use the rated 15 W, but somewhere around 5 W.
Does this observation sound correct?